Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Default Testosterone, Polyamory and Jealousy

Since reading "Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality", I have given a great deal of thought to my own sexual desires and interactions. At one point in the book, (around chapter 11 if memory serves) they refer to Testosterone having a huge impact on Male sexuality (which was no surprise to me). This hit home with me because I suffer from hypergonadism - meaning my body doesn't produce normal amounts of testosterone. It got me thinking..

As far back as I could remember, I never really had any problems with jealousy. I have always had fleeting moments, but never any real jealous episodes. I wonder if lower production of testosterone made the transition to a polyamourous lifestyle easier. I do take hormonal treatments for my condition, but I haven't noticed a huge difference in jealousy.

The flip side is that women don't produce testosterone at the average male levels (roughly an 8th of what guys do) - so why do women get jealous if there is a correlation between testosterone levels and jealousy? I understand that women and men are different, so this may not even be a factor.

So what do you guys think? Could there be a correlation between jealousy (male and/or female) and testosterone levels? Anyone here also diagnosed with low testosterone and seamlessly transition to polyamory from a monogamy? Perhaps this would make an interesting study...