Very good point SC.
Agreed.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Agreed.
Hear, hear.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 PM

16 year old kids tend to go off about anything that they don't think is like what everyone else has. They are hyper-aware about what is "normal" and desperately want to fit in. I remember at that age being so angry with my mother for her being a stay at home mom and not like all the other moms I knew who went out and worked. What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter who you are or what you do teen minds tend to warp things and they will likely find something to be unhappy about. It will pass. If she knows that she is loved and accepted for who she is. The anger about your polyamory probably won't even last that long.

I also saw in your original post that you and your husband are getting divorced. It sounds to me that she is angry about that more than about who you are with at the moment. I think it would go a long way for both you and her dad to talk to her honestly about why your relationship didn't work out. It might help to ease the blame because it sounds like she is blaming you in a round about way for her family being broken.

-Derby
Old 10-27-2010, 11:31 PM

Also a good point derby.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM

thank you shrodingers cat & others.

she's bcome accepting of it. not 100%. but she asked why i can't do anything on wed. nights & i told her i didn't want to discus it if she was going to freak out.

she rolled her eyes & sad you are so fucken weird. i told her i don't want to be with strangers & it makes me happy. she knows how unhappy i was for the past 5 years.

yes, i want her to tell me what's going on in her life. i want to b available for questions. she does think i know nothing & make dumb choices. but she knows this family fora while, so how can she not think that it's a good choice. they are good hearted people. there's not much for her to say except that shedoens't agree.

at least she's talking to me. my son has no comment on the issue.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:22 AM

It's tough to deal with teenagers. Hang in there, they grow up eventually. My 16 year old was 14 when he figured out that we were poly, and he was already good friends with the couple who make up the other half of our quad. Well, being friends with them didn't help even a little, he had a major hissy fit if I even tried to hug Sunday, my other male partner. My son stopped talking and confiding in Asha, my female partner. He told me that love was meant to be shared between two people. I told him that was fine for him but I felt differently.

I just try to keep on keeping on, living a good example and being a good, calm mom who isn't ashamed of her life. I say the words, "That's none of your business" a fair amount, and try to make sure that everyone gets involved in family activities as often as possible. I *think* it's working. We certainly seem to be having more "good" moments than bad ones lately.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 PM

I know this is an old post so I hope that all has worked out. If you'd like to have someone to talk with who raised her kids (me) in a Wiccan/Poly family I'll be happy to give suggestions.