Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 02:16 AM

You could always mention your wife's boyfriend in passing. Like if she asks what you're doing, you could say "I have the place to myself since my wife is out with her boyfriend" or something, depending on what brings it up.
Then that should raise questions, and you can tell her about being poly, without it sounding like you're trying to hook up with her since she's the one who asked.

It might be easier than suddenly saying "hey, by the way, I'm poly".
Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
"hey, by the way, I'm poly".
That’s exactly what I'm trying to avoid. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
You could always mention your wife's boyfriend in passing. Like if she asks what you're doing, you could say "I have the place to myself since my wife is out with her boyfriend" or something, depending on what brings it up.
My wife (I'll call her Flea from here on out to cut down on confusion) said something similar. Her BF lives in another state, and she’s going to spend some time with him in a week or so. Flea suggested I tell her about the trip as a good way to break the ice. Looks like two votes for that approach, thanks.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 PM

Ummmm....wow....One of my aunt's is nick named "Flea". Your wife isn't from Ohio is she? LOL
Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 AM

Sorry TL4everu2, but she's from California. That's pretty close to Ohio, right?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 AM

Well, not exactly, but I DID live there once.....And I made it a point to visit every year for a while. LOL Wasn't visiting anyone in particular...Just visiting the state. LOL

What a relief! LOL
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterV View Post
Sorry TL4everu2, but she's from California. That's pretty close to Ohio, right?
Where in CA?

UUH why Flea, was that her choice? Sorry, fleas and my family just don't get along at all
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterV View Post
My wife (I'll call her Flea from here on out to cut down on confusion) said something similar. Her BF lives in another state, and she’s going to spend some time with him in a week or so. Flea suggested I tell her about the trip as a good way to break the ice. Looks like two votes for that approach, thanks.
make that three. I would listen to your wife on this one. She knows you best and can obviously see how this approach would suit you and the way you are. Go for it. It won't look like you want to hook up at least and it will bring the two of you together a bit more as she will then have more personal information about your life that doesn't directly involve you but show you are interested in a deeper connection, friendly or otherwise.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
Where in CA?
San Deigo county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
UUH why Flea, was that her choice? Sorry, fleas and my family just don't get along at all
She had an uncle when she was little that would say. “Laura Lee, no bigger than a flea.” So Little Flea is one of her nicknames. She calls her boyfriend Puppy, so that gives you a little insight into there relationship.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I would listen to your wife on this one.
Probably the best advice...ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
It won't look like you want to hook up at least
Thanks, redpepper. That’s what I'm trying to avoid. I am really enjoying getting to know her again and want the friendship to continue. Now I just have to find a way to work it into the conversation. We only email like once or twice a day, because of our busy schedules.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 AM

Well, quick update. I let her know that Flea was going to spend a week with her friend. I figured that she would ask me if I was jealous, or worried, and I would use that as a starting point. But she just let it fly by like I never told her that my wife was staying overnight, in another state, with a man I hardly know. I guess I'll have to be a little more direct. Maybe the “guess what? I'm poly!” route is best in this situation. Maybe not quite that direct, but you know what I mean. Oh well, might as well live on the edge a little.

By the way, this is only the second time Flea has gone to see Puppy, and the first time was only overnight, and I had a complete emotional meltdown. This time she's gonna be gone for four days. I'm on day two, and I'm getting a little stir crazy. It's funny how you get used to someone being around all of the time. We've only been poly for about seven months now and the first couple of months were tough for me. Just thought I'd vent a little, hope ya’ll don’t mind.