Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
The Langella Dracula was a reasonable re-telling of the modern mythology (which all started with Bram Stoker).

Stoker really wasn't that good a writer; look for Saberhagen's The Dracula Tapes for a hilarious version told from The Count's point of view. Other modern takes on vampires (written) are the early Anita Blake series, (Laurell Hamilton before she goes strange) , Butcher's Harry Dresden series, and Saberhagen's Dracula series. Also the True Blood TV series and its inspiration, the books (forget the writer at this time).

I mostly fault Meyer's stories because she admits she did no research before writing them. If you're going to invoke supernatural creatures, you at least need to know their literary and mythic origins before doing your own version...
Well she also kinda decided to throw all that to the wind and make her own version based on the dream she had...more power to her, I think...yes I'm a Twilight nerd!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
yes I'm a Twilight nerd!
BAH!!!! VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE!!!! WE ARE NOT SPARKLY!!!!!

um..... I mean.... they are not sparkly. Them. The vampires, which I certainly am not. In any way. Stop looking at me like that....

...dammit, now I'm hungry
Old 10-23-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
BAH!!!! VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE!!!! WE ARE NOT SPARKLY!!!!!

um..... I mean.... they are not sparkly. Them. The vampires, which I certainly am not. In any way. Stop looking at me like that....

...dammit, now I'm hungry
LMAO!!!!
I agree you...um, they...shouldn't be sparkly...but I do love sparkly things!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
LMAO!!!!
I agree you...um, they...shouldn't be sparkly...but I do love sparkly things!!!
So, a little back story here: I've spent the last three years dealing with J and our mutual friends, and their mutual joke/argument that I am a vampire. They are convinced of this, no matter how much I protest, or how often I point out that I LOVE garlic and silver jewelry, or that I am way too claustrphobic to ever sleep in a coffin....

but they never believe me. And now Cricket has been on the same bandwagon for the last year or so

My daytime sleep schedule, gothic wardrobe, and irish complexion do not mean that I'm undead!!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:47 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
So, a little back story here: I've spent the last three years dealing with J and our mutual friends, and their mutual joke/argument that I am a vampire. They are convinced of this, no matter how much I protest, or how often I point out that I LOVE garlic and silver jewelry, or that I am way too claustrphobic to ever sleep in a coffin....

but they never believe me. And now Cricket has been on the same bandwagon for the last year or so

My daytime sleep schedule, gothic wardrobe, and irish complexion do not mean that I'm undead!!
OMG...too freakin funny...I think I would have to join in if I knew ya!!!
And that's just because I'm not irish pale, but dang near it. White girl with almost black hair...yeah...the sun hates me.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM

On the topic of "other" vampire movies - has anyone seen "Let the Right One In?"

Having read the books and knowing how the story ends - I'm not on either side ;-)

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 PM

I don't think a poly situation would work in the Twilight-verse. Huge thing there about the Vamps and Weres hating each other. Sorry to kill any fun. Popular vote amongst the gay men I know puts Team Jacob in the lead post- New Moon
Old 11-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I don't think a poly situation would work in the Twilight-verse. Huge thing there about the Vamps and Weres hating each other. Sorry to kill any fun. Popular vote amongst the gay men I know puts Team Jacob in the lead post- New Moon
Well if it has anything to do with the movies, then yeah! I think everyone's on Team Jacob after seein that kid with his shirt off!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 AM

"Hi, I'm Jacob. I can't act at all, but I'm gay bait, and it's written into my contract that I have to take my shirt off every two minutes so that the producers of this drivel can snag another target audience, so you should pay money to come see me fail at acting and give you half a strip-tease every other scene or so."

Yeah, that guy sucks. But he does succeed at what the producers hired him for.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:42 PM

I saw a t-shirt once that said "and then Buffy staked Edward, the end".