Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 06:08 PM

Well then, I really don't care about what it is called. Words are just words. I wanted us to be happy and that's not going to happen now. So, I will be moving on. People spend so much time trying to figure out what word best describes their relationships. It takes away from what's really important.

Question: Why would you think I was in New York? Do I look that cool? If so, awesome!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Polyandry, which you mentioned is polygamy in reverse.
Actually, slightly wrong. Strictly speaking:

Polyandry is a woman with multiple husbands
Polygeny is a man with multiple wives
Polygamy is in fact the blanket term that includes both.

And yes, most poly relationships on here would not fit into any of those narrow boundaries so they are not terrifically useful terms.
Sorry to hijack your thread Girlcaleb!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
But breaking that lover bond takes some people time
I wish there was a set amount of time given here. I'm dealin with a similar situation.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcaleb View Post
Question: Why would you think I was in New York? Do I look that cool? If so, awesome!
No, I thought I remembered you saying you were. My mistake

haha...are people from new york cool? This canadian doesn't really know these things
Old 10-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkafan View Post
Actually, slightly wrong. Strictly speaking:

Polyandry is a woman with multiple husbands
Polygeny is a man with multiple wives
Polygamy is in fact the blanket term that includes both.

And yes, most poly relationships on here would not fit into any of those narrow boundaries so they are not terrifically useful terms.
Sorry to hijack your thread Girlcaleb!
Just a spelling correction: man with multiple wives is polygyny.

someone should probably put up a good definition of polyamory so it's all in one place.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
haha...are people from new york cool? This canadian doesn't really know these things
I thought Canadians knew everything and had all the answers? Weird.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:00 AM

It's been about 24hrs. I'm being a total teenager about it all. My boyfriend just listened to an all out vent fest about me being canned. We both agree that it is for the best, but it still hurts. I'm glad he's strong enough to deal with my polyness. Hopefully I can find someone else that's just as awesome as he is.

Question: Does age really play a big role in people's acceptance of different lifestyle choices. The man that broke up with me is still very young (22). I remember being his age and not being able to handle the fact that my boyfriend at that time had female friends, let alone might want to be with someone else. It took me a few years to get where I am now. Maybe all he needs is time, but I don't think I should wait around anymore. I've been waiting for seven years now. Okay, I'll end it here. Sorry to go on about it all.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:11 AM

Don't be sorry. This is a PERFECT place to vent.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 AM

I don't think age has too much to do with it. I'm 21 and have an SO who has a wife. Lack of maturity and poor communication skills can be found in all age brackets. As can monos. No correlation intended between the two.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:54 AM

For me polyandry means you have several primary partners that are all male, polygyny means you have several primary partners who are all female, and polygamy includes both, plus cases in which your primary partners are mix-matched (some male, some female, some genderqueer, you name it).

I don't think it changes a thing whether they have other partners or not. I'd consider myself polyandrous, even though both my partners are poly.

I think males are often okay with females having other partners as long as they're female for a mix of reasons:

- insecurity: they could wonder "why am I not enough" with male partners, but with female partners, it's easier to grasp: it's more obvious to them how a female could bring you things they can't. And on the other hand, they also know they can bring you things females can't, so it's safer for them as well. (Note that I believe this is true for ANY partner - they bring you different things from the next - but I think it's just easier to wrap your mind around it if there is a major difference such as gender. Especially for a mono person).

- they think it's hot

- in the case of straight guys, it might also be that they want you to have partners they are also involved with, or are able to get involved with potentially.