Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Default My current religious orientation

I am ethnically Jewish, in terms of a specific organized religion - knowledgable but agnostic, in terms of belief in a higher power which has gone by names such as God, Godess, the Divine, the Higher Power as one understands it (have an eating disorder), I have no doubt that there is one. Just like I know the floor under my feet is real.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM

I was raised in a Fundamental Baptist family. I use to believe a good portion of the teachings but always struggled with a good portion of it as well.

About 9 years ago, I began to doubt most of it due to being exposed to information I'd grown up being censored from. About 4 years ago, I realized I'm an Atheist who will freely admit I don't have all the answers but neither does any religion.

Now please pass the plate around and give what your heart tells you.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinccenzo View Post
I was raised in a Fundamental Baptist family. I use to believe a good portion of the teachings but always struggled with a good portion of it as well.

About 9 years ago, I began to doubt most of it due to being exposed to information I'd grown up being censored from.
Like what? Something in the Bible, or something in the organization?
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

There's no lying in polyamory!

I'm a 58 year old woman with 2 partners:
miss pixi, my live-in gf, 36 (together since Jan '09)
Ginger, bf, 61, married, lives nearby (together since Jan '12)
Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 AM

I was raised Christian, found Wicca, and I'm now branching into Vodoun.
I have little issue with Christianity, but lots of problems with Christians.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Like what? Something in the Bible, or something in the organization?
Well, I will admit to a growing awareness as I got older of folks "talking the talk but not walking the walk" while still harshly judging others.
And even though the area I lived in still battles, to this day, every year to put creationism back in the public classrooms, the faith my family adhered to directly contradicted biology and other aspects of science I learned in school.

So In my adult years, I began to wonder about the black listed books my family's church warned against. Some of them I'd read anyway as a kid (Judy Blume) mostly due to my mom having periods of being less religious at home than when around my grandparents and extended family. We used to be tight knit, so even then we went to church once a month with my grandmother.
You have to understand: the Earth is roughly 6000 years old. We've never been anything other than homo sapien. God has very clearly defined gender roles and expectations no matter what he gave you talent or inclination for. A whole list of things including Santa and playing cards are evil and demons can possess you. Condoms will make you have sex. You can learn to not be gay. Dino bones are God's little practical joke. IUDs are monthly abortions. You are not pro choice; you are pro abortion. Spare the rod; spoil the child. And will you stop asking me why it is any less a miracle if Mary had just not had sex with anyone in a year or more?

So once I came upon harder science and events that happened prior to the birth of Christ that was not in the Bible? The feasibility just wasn't there for me anymore.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I have little issue with Christianity, but lots of problems with Christians.
This.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi. This is my current favourite quote.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Mr. Dreadful
My Poly-friendly Facebook Account - Add me, you know it makes sense...
My Main Facebook Account.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDreadful View Post
This.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi. This is my current favourite quote.
Precisely.
Christians and Churches don't inspire much faith or awe, for me, and there are some issues in the Bible that I don't know how to reconcile with my personal beliefs. (read: I'm all about women being able to choose their own fates. That's a little too heathenish for some folks, apparently.)
Old 10-11-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinccenzo View Post
You have to understand: the Earth is roughly 6000 years old. We've never been anything other than homo sapien. God has very clearly defined gender roles and expectations no matter what he gave you talent or inclination for. A whole list of things including Santa and playing cards are evil and demons can possess you. Condoms will make you have sex. You can learn to not be gay. Dino bones are God's little practical joke. IUDs are monthly abortions. You are not pro choice; you are pro abortion. Spare the rod; spoil the child. And will you stop asking me why it is any less a miracle if Mary had just not had sex with anyone in a year or more?
ROFLOL!!!

You forgot: If you are sick or in pain, you don't have enough faith or are lacking in some way or have not given enough money. You will be "blessed" with money if you just pray the right way. Not to mention all alchohol is the devil's drink and dancing will always lead you have un-married sex.

My grandmother was Baptist fundamentalist, my dad was an engineer (with a scientist's way of thinking). Of course he would fully enjoy using the Bible to prove some of her "truths" to be made up nonsensse that had NO basis in the Bible at all. There were also the theology vs reality arguements, which he could always argue better than she could.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
ROFLOL!!!

You forgot: If you are sick or in pain, you don't have enough faith or are lacking in some way or have not given enough money. You will be "blessed" with money if you just pray the right way. Not to mention all alchohol is the devil's drink and dancing will always lead you have un-married sex.

My grandmother was Baptist fundamentalist, my dad was an engineer (with a scientist's way of thinking). Of course he would fully enjoy using the Bible to prove some of her "truths" to be made up nonsensse that had NO basis in the Bible at all. There were also the theology vs reality arguements, which he could always argue better than she could.
Oh yeah, I could go on, but I see you got the picture already.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 PM

Default Some thoughts on your comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
The idea of the trinity I find very fascinating. The whole trinity concept is found long before Christ in a lot of Pagan religons. Now the question for me is, was the Christian Trinity thought up to conform to the non-Jewish peoples or were the Jewish people just arrogant in assuming God didn't speak or give guidance and love to the rest of the world? For a while I thought it was the former, now I am beginning to think it is the later.
Actually, Judaism (at least mystically oriented branches of it) does recognize three aspects to God(ess) Ruach Ha Kodesh (what often gets translated as the Holy Spirit), Shechinah (the feminine and merciful aspect), and Malchut/Elohim(the judging, ruling aspect). Also, the Torah makes it very clear that G-d as the Jews see the Divinity is willing to provide guidance and love to any who will listen (note Noach, Lot neither of whom are Jewish who receive Divine guidance and aid) and that it is a personal choice to refuse God's rule (note ve Adonai hiksha et lev Paroh: and God hardened Pharoah's heart) notably that since Pharaoh chose willingly to ignore God's warnings provided by Moses and even his own pagan diviners, God just helped him on to his own unbelief. And Moses himself listened to the wise advice of Yitro (Jethro) his father in law, because Yitro was God fearing, though a non-Jew.