Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
The hippies were practicing polyamory way before the word became so mainstream.
uh, wasn't it more "open" in relationship style, rather than "poly?"

Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarechild View Post
The heart of activism is going to bat for an idea larger than yourself, knowing that through your boldness you can change the world for the better, educate, make someone else's life easier, contribute to the evolution of a government, minority or cause because you feel the issues and people involved are misunderstood or undervalued.
very well said Rarechild! You think things out well and then articulate them well. I admire that.

-sorry, catching up on this thread.... some good stuff in here!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
uh, wasn't it more "open" in relationship style, rather than "poly?"

A lot of hippies had the concept of "we only have sex with people we love and we love everyone" this is similar to a lot of poly aproaches I have been exposed to. The word love is used very lightly in alot of cases we see. We both know that love is not a requirement in intimacy for a lot of those around us.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1npt View Post
I bet we've touched a lot of lives on here, whether we know it or not. Perhaps it's the simplest form of activism there is? Maybe we can invoke a quiet poly revolution?
Coming from a somewhat activist background I have to admit I have lost my energy for this one (poly activism that is).... I go to our local Pride Parade every year and have done so since the very first one 14 years ago. I go now to find my community all together and celebrating difference. Back in the day it was from an activist stance as we were yelled at and things thrown at us. Back then it was a 100 or more people. This past summer it was over 10,000 queer friendly people! That is about the same size as the town I grew up in! I weep to think of the change I have participated in. I thought it so small at the time, and it was, but just by being me and being strong in my convictions that the life I lead was a positive one I helped make that change. I don't for one second think that just because I am not out there asserting my rights by yelling and holding banners that I am not making a difference. Even if people don't agree with me, and I am sure there are many, I still make a difference in creating a way for them to decide that they disagree with me.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damncatfish View Post
People don't go from gay-basher to tolerant because of an activist campaign. They meet someone who they respect and admire as a person, find out they're gay and realize the error of their ways. Or not
Agreed! Of course I didn't know that back then and there was strength in numbers and at least people saw we existed... besides, one doesn't have to be marching to be an activist. I think I always will be an activist.

You are right though, I made the most difference by knowing people and them experiencing my differences.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:

You are right though, I made the most difference by knowing people and them experiencing my differences.
This is the way I have found most beneficial in getting to know people from differing cultures and backgrounds. It brings in the human factor where we realize that we are all very similar in so many ways.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Every one has valued points in this for sure. I respect that.

I am just going to accept that I just enjoy my life and don't want or expect anything beyond simply sharing love. I can work that into societal norms and if individuals don't like how I live my life they won't be included into it.

I'm very black and white; Your in or out, accept or don't, I'd love to get to know you, but if I don't it will have little on my happiness.

This isn't about staying in the closet..I'm certainly not. It's about not feeling that I am in a closet at all..that is where the self generated isolation comes from. Just be proud and happy.

This also isn't about sitting back and letting others pave a path for me. I'm not on anyones path but my own and Redpepper's. I don't care what group I get lumped into because of the dynamic in my love life. I'm in my own group, the only paving that happens on my path is done with the people in my life.

Politics and movements just aren't my thing...I'm bowing out on this one.
This is exactly what I think we are talking about Mono. We live our life to the best of our ability and this in itself makes a difference. Whether we intend it to or not... if you really didn't care you wouldn't be on this forum no?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
if you really didn't care you wouldn't be on this forum no?

You're right..I just get sidetracked from focussing on the positives I can contribute and dwelling on the negatives. I have some transitional anger issues to deal with. Be patient.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM

" I have some transitional anger issues to deal with. Be patient." mono.
Oh I am baby. I love you endlessly regardless. You know that. Just reminding
Old 08-15-2009, 02:36 AM

The first step of activism is to be noticed in a social setting. Let "normal" people see people of your group as "real people." I have seen this over and over. Like a racist person will start accepting a person of a different color once they know them on a personal level. Or a homophobic parent may become more tolerant when their child comes out in the open.

I think polyamory is in this stage, where we are being noticed by society. Hopefully, society will not see our lifestyle as a threat and our rights will grow. It will also grow as an outgrowth of gay and secular rights.

So I see a lot of local activism just by coming out poly. We still have need for more national and international activism, but I think the biggest changes come from the combined local activism.