Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 AM

I'm really interested in looking up this show. Is it a reality show or scripted? I haven't heard about it out here.

But I'm glad there is finally another show out about a nonmonogamous family. "Big Love" had been the only one for a while (to my knowledge anyway)

Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 PM

It's a reality show, but with him being investigated for Bigamy, who knows how long it will actualy stay on the air. TLC.com has full episodes online.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohegan View Post
It's a reality show, but with him being investigated for Bigamy, who knows how long it will actualy stay on the air. TLC.com has full episodes online.
*sigh* This is why you don't want to admit to committing a crime on national TV. (No, I don't think it SHOULD be a crime...) Unfortunately, even if law enforcement officers would prefer to ignore the whole thing, if you get up in public and shout "Hey, I'm doing THIS!"...they're not really allowed to ignore the matter.

It's sort of like smoking marijuana. A lot of officers really don't care. But if you get in their face and blow smoke at them...they have to pay attention.

I'm glad it was a positive view...but the reality is different from what we might wish.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:53 AM

I just watched the first episode and it's so interesting. I actually live in Utah. And as an arm in a FMF, I occasionally have "sister-wife/metamour" moments with my SO's wife. I liked that the religious aspect wasn't all consuming and that the wives were all happy and consenting adults. I hate that they could be facing criminal charges. I read an article that said they felt willing to take the risk because in order for there to be progress in society, some one has to. Very brave of them.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 AM

Talking

The wife and I were watching it the other day and that dude is either whacked out or blissfully ignorant of himself.

The show we watched was a great example of how how Polygamy is nothing like Polyamory.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:31 PM

I just watched a clip on youtube and it's sad how adamently judgemental so many of the comments pride themselves on being -_-
Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLABiMCpl View Post

The wife and I were watching it the other day and that dude is either whacked out or blissfully ignorant of himself.
How do you mean? I certainly didn't get that impression.

Quote:
The show we watched was a great example of how how Polygamy is nothing like Polyamory.
You must have watched a different show than I did. Their rules and motivations are different from what I'm used to, but that stuff is up to their preferences, not mine. Their attitudes towards how a successful, honest, nonmonogamous relationship should function were, I thought, an excellent example of how polygamy (or this particular family's version of it) and polyamory are very much alike indeed.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLABiMCpl View Post

I'm confused about what you mean.

They didn't come right out and say it, but with the religious motivation, I wondered if the women were not allowed other partners, and with as many kids as they had, I almost wondered if they did it mainly to have so many kids.

But none of this was ever explicitly stated, and I could be making assumptions. Although even if that's the case, they all seem to be happy about it. And if they're happy, it's not for me to judge.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 PM

The 2 of you answered your own questions
and in Ready's case, rebuked his own answer.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 PM

I caught a bit of this last night. Really enjoyed it - W was watching as well and he was intrigued by the emotions - that's a big one for us.

What I really really liked - is that one of the teen girls said that they didn't want to live a non-monogamous life. It was all she'd ever known - but she wanted one man, one woman.

I loved that the parents said that it was her choice, and they will love her and support her regardless.

Overall - while I don't watch reality shows - it was one that caught my interest.

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane