Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Interesting when I hear or read promiscuity, my internal definition of it relates directly to cheating.

However it isn't. Promiscuity is simply having multiple sexual partners.

there is no poly infidelity because polyamory covers it nicely. Polyamory-fidelity is like jumbo shrimp. Its almost an oxy moron because it doesn't quite fit, but does exist.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 PM

I kind of disagree... To me fidelity means being faithful to the commitment you've made not to have outside partners. It can happen is a mono relationship or a poly one. If there is commitment but no faithfulness, it's cheating. If the commitment isn't there in the first place, the relationship is open.

A relationship that is poly AND closed might sound weird but it's not that uncommon I would think.

Oh, and to me promiscuous means horny tease, but doesn't imply actual sex. But I guess I'm wrong about that? I always thought it was about the attitude, not the actual actions.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
I kind of disagree... To me fidelity means being faithful to the commitment you've made not to have outside partners. It can happen is a mono relationship or a poly one. If there is commitment but no faithfulness, it's cheating. If the commitment isn't there in the first place, the relationship is open.

A relationship that is poly AND closed might sound weird but it's not that uncommon I would think.

Oh, and to me promiscuous means horny tease, but doesn't imply actual sex. But I guess I'm wrong about that? I always thought it was about the attitude, not the actual actions.
I agree. Polyfidelity would be nonsensical if infedility was not possible in poly. Infedility being a break in faithfulness to the commimtents made, has to be part of polyfidelity or any poly relationship that has clear rules of engagement for sexual or emotional attachment.

OKC Profile

Blogs:
Mind Crush
sloetry

“Instead of getting better and better at avoiding, learn to accept the present moment as if you had invited it. And work with it instead of against it. And making it your ally rather than your enemy.”
-Pema Chodron

Last edited by MindfulAgony; 09-23-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling and readability

Tags
poly fidelity, poly-fi, relationship dynamics