Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 PM

... which actually argues for my side of the issue. "Polyamory" doesn't mean the same thing as "swinging," for example. It is a word with a clear enough meaning: "multiple loves". Since sex is non-identical with love, "swinging" doesn't mean "polyamory". Therefore, the word "polyamory" can be badly misused -- because the word has an actual meaning apart from the willy nilly preferences of any given user.

River's Blog
Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Custodian

The dictionary definition is what it is. I don't understand how it can be "disagreed" on. You might as well disagree about the spelling. Then you look it up in the dictionary. That's all there is to it. You can run around saying that you'll spell it however you want, but that's kind of silly. Same with definitions. Words sometimes have more than one usage, but you will not find one word that means both "A" and "not-A".

It's more likely that Mono simply does not have "intimate" friendships, but can only "be" intimate with someone that he is in love with.

Other people can experience intimacy with people they are not in love with, and can express it in other ways besides sex.

These situations stand on their own; neither circumstance changes the "definition" of "intimacy".

Last edited by NeonKaos; 08-06-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Thanks, YGirl. I think that's basically right, with one caveat (in two parts).: (a) Words mean what their users agree them to mean--in a broad usage context--, whether or not new usages have yet been imprinted in dictionaries; and (b) words are changing meaning all of the time, mutating... -- as anyone may discover by examining dictionaries of many varied vintages.

I once had a letter to the editor of my local newspaper "corrected" before printing, because a word I used wasn't in their outdated dictionary! The word was "heterosexist". My letter was badly botched! All the opinion page editor would have had to do is to google it, and would have found that it was included in many contemporary dictionaries. <sigh>

River's Blog
Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiverMartin View Post
I once had a letter to the editor of my local newspaper "corrected" before printing, because a word I used wasn't in their outdated dictionary! The word was "heterosexist". My letter was badly botched! All the opinion page editor would have had to do is to google it, and would have found that it was included in many contemporary dictionaries. <sigh>
I'll go out on a limb and venture that whoever edited that WAS "heterosexist".
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 PM

She may well have been, but when I discussed the matter with her in her office, she was quite friendly. She explained that there were these two particular dictionaries on her shelf which the top editor said included ALL of the words which would be accepted as a matter of the paper's policy! No exceptions were to be allowed. She said.

Since I find stupid policies pretty much everywhere I look, I didn't let it get my panties all tied up in knots. Otherwise, my panties would ALWAYS be knotted up! And who can live like that?

River's Blog
Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Is it possible for polyamory to fit a group of people who love each other and don't have sex with each other, or at all with anyone for that matter.... a kind of asexual poly family?
I think it is possible. How they arrive at that would be what intrigues me. The way I think of the definition of polyamory is relationships that are intimate both physically and emotionally. Those two elements might exist in swinging relationships but I suspect that they are few and far in between. I know of loving couples in their eighties whose lives revolve around each other. They may be sexually active, it's not uncommon, but probably not frequent. The bond of their relationship seems to come from their emotional intimacy. That would hold true in a poly relationship as well. What I am saying is that a poly relationship could evolve into a non-sexual relationship for whatever reasons, but I don't think it could be defined as a polyamory if the realtionship began non-sexual and remained non-sexual.

Barry
Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 PM

Generally, polyamory is understood by "the polyamory community" as relative to "romantic" relationships -- which are generally sexual relationships, or include sexual expression. However, some members or participants in the polyamory community will -- righly -- insist that not all romantic relationships are also sexual relationships. One has to google up a bit of history to discover that, indeed, there has been a tradition of "romantic friendship," in which passionate love affairs have existed between people who were not necessarily sexually involved with one another. It's worth the google.

Polyamorists certainly typically engage in multiple romantic relationships which are also sexual relationships. And I don't think anyone should have to prove they're sleeping with multiple partners to gain inclusion in our weird little club.

River's Blog
Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 AM

I think that if a loving, intimate, group of people want to call themselves poly then so be it. It is a matter of what they all want to call themselves. It is more a definition of what romance is.

I have a close friend that I would love to say I am in a poly relationship with, but she would hit the roof. I do things with her that could be seen as romantic.... cuddling, sleeping together in a spoon.... yet for her it is a friendship with intimate bits. I don't let myself go to that romantic place, yet I love her immensely.

hm stuck on this one now.

What is the difference then between a romantic relationship, an intimate friendship that involves sex?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:21 AM

I can't believe so much of this thread was directed towards debating a word used to conceptualize the difference between friends and the poly concept of close deep friends you want to fuck. Why don't we define the word "love" with the dictionary as well because I see it thrown around like a cheap shirt all the time in the poly community? Words are used in different ways all the time to achieve individual goals and results. Sometimes they are just lame justifications to produce a higher sense of morality. Not all the time, just some of the time.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:24 AM

You posted at the same time as me love.... heh, this word definition thing is near and dear to us isn't it.... I am anxiously awaiting others to respond!

Tags
aromantic, asexual, asexual poly, asexual poly panromantic, asexuality