Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
It wouldn't cross my mind, either. I certainly wouldn't go looking for a poly group at a sex shop. I used to manage an adult shop. We had folks from the fetish community in, we had folks from the swinging community in--we had no folks from any poly group come in of which I'm aware (and any requests to post info, yada yada yada had to have my approval).

I have to say I wouldn't visit any poly group that had posted info in a sex shop. That suggests to me the folks in it are more interested in meat market dating and looking for hookups and I'm not interested in that.
I have to agree not into the meat market type dating, But maybe they list social clubs and the such in there or know of some in the area.... I guess like I said I have tried the websites and to no avail have gotten no where so I was hoping there was a way to locate clubs via the board.... Unfortunaly not as i have got the run around on here also, Guess I'll just shelve this and put it a side....
Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't cross my mind, either. I certainly wouldn't go looking for a poly group at a sex shop. I used to manage an adult shop. We had folks from the fetish community in, we had folks from the swinging community in--we had no folks from any poly group come in of which I'm aware (and any requests to post info, yada yada yada had to have my approval).

I have to say I wouldn't visit any poly group that had posted info in a sex shop. That suggests to me the folks in it are more interested in meat market dating and looking for hookups and I'm not interested in that.
That wouldn't be my first reaction ... I would think someone is trying to get word out in a place that is already accepting of a wide variety of alternative lifestyles.

But yes, the meat market thing could be just as true.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:57 AM

What sites are you on? OKcupid has proven to be the most poly friendly I have known... most of my poly community here and in area are on there. Plenty of fish is the second, but is more for hook ups and open relationships. Never say never though, I met my Mono there and he hadn't even heard of poly when we first met. Sometime a whole lot of educating is needed first, before meeting.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Most poly people I have met now are already non-monogamous....
Every poly person I've met has been non-monogamous!

And most I've met have not done any swinging. To be precise, they haven't mentioned any, and I imagine openly poly folk aren't going to be in the closet about other non-monogamous things. There may be some few who would admit to one and not the other, though I can't say as I'm aware of any.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Every poly person I've met has been non-monogamous!
Damn context...haha...nice catch.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM

In my life in general, I've found that being vocal about everything I am interested in has rewarded me.

I'm openly poly in my life. I'm a political activist and don't mind talking about my philosophy. Both of those things are important to me so I mention them to friends, family or anybody else in my life who cares about me enough to have the conversation.

There are "closet cases" everywhere. I've had people that I totally didn't expect respond to my discussion of poly. I have a knack for finding people interested in poly (and in BDSM for the same reason) or open relationships.

It's very likely that people around you are or are considering an open relationship that are too uncomfortable broaching the topic. To all of those people YOU look like the "dedicated mono couple" that you're ruling out because you don't know.