Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Custodian

I typically don't participate in these discussions about "labels" because I don't think "labels" are that big of a deal. They are if you allow them to be. I usually have better things to navel-gaze about. Not today, I guess.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM

Maybe it would be more fun just to gaze at pix of my current favorite girly-man, Adam Lambert.

Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Custodian

I can't see his navel though.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM

Hehe, it's indicated by no less than 3 embellishments on his cummerbund tho!

Goes off to search for Adam's navel...
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

miss pixi, 37
Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Panasexual is one of the few labels I have taken on that I can feel comfort with in terms of my description of myself and my definition of the word. I hope when I use it that people will think that I am a person that walks into a room and searches out like minded people to be with and be close to rather than a certain type or gender. It really has nothing to do with sex or gender persay although, if I found myself attracted in that way then it could be an option later along the line perhaps.

I'm not sure where the word came from, but I, like others, heard people use it in a way that fit for me and so I started using it. Where did it come from and why not omnisexual? Good question.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 PM

I know I am 'open' in mindset. In my mind I am open,..but when it comes to actual relationships, I definitely see a pattern. The pattern works for me, so no reason to kill it.

I do enjoy being proven wrong, when I think I have myself known to a 'T'...

I had a interesting experience Friday night, meeting a younger man through a few friends. He had been a semi-finalist on one of those hit dance shows.

We ended up in deep convo about poly, dancing, dance schools, cross dressing, and living outside the norm. It was a really fantastic conversation. It reminded me of a few things to keep 'open' about.

Though I do enjoy objecting to micro- labels, we still need a few adjectives at the end of the day. If someone asks me what my sexual orientation is, I can`t just stare back at them and dazzle them with my mime-like qualities.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjast View Post
Though I do enjoy objecting to micro- labels, we still need a few adjectives at the end of the day. If someone asks me what my sexual orientation is, I can`t just stare back at them and dazzle them with my mime-like qualities.
I usually just say to the left.

That throws them all for a loop as they assume my orientation would go to the right.

oh monday morning bad joke, I know I know...
Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 PM

It`s Tuesday.

It`s only Monday for campers who stayed up to late on the Monday night.

:P xo

Last edited by SourGirl; 08-24-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:57 AM

jast, question for you: How do you know you're not attracted to transgendered people? How can you be certain that a person is a man dressed as a woman, and not a man becoming a woman? Do you reserve attraction for the moment you see their genitalia and confirm their biological gender?

I'm especially curious since you identify as bisexual, meaning you don't have an aversion to either penises or vaginas. I can see how a straight woman could be attracted to men and men dressed as women but not men with their penises cut off, because the penis is tied to her attraction... but if that's not the case for you, then what gives?

If you found yourself attracted to a post-op male-to-female whom you'd believed was a man dressed as a woman, and later found out she was TG: would you claim that you had never really been attracted to her in the first place? Or would you maybe be forced to reconsider your sexual orientation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
No, but several people have said that they use the word "pansexual" instead of "bisexual" to make it clear that they are attracted to "people, not genders". And I am calling that out as semantic psychobabble.
Of course it's semantic. The subject of discussion is the definition of the word pansexual. The definition of "semantic" is "relating to meaning in language" so by necessity, any discussion on the definition of a word is inherently semantic. I don't see where the psychobabble part supposedly comes in.

Bi means two. Poly means many. Pan means all.

The OP is attracted to men and women, but not transgendered. Therefore they are not pansexual. Pansexuals are attracted to "attractive people" regardless of gender, or lack thereof. Naturally, "attractive" is as subjective for pansexuals as it is for straight, gay, or bi people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
But i think I see why some people find the need for the word "pan" now. It's because they want to convey an unlimited possibility of genders. What's wrong with the term "omni", then?
They both mean "all" in their respective root languages, but pan- refers more to inclusiveness and therefore is more appropriate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac dictionary
pan-
combining form
all-inclusive, esp. in relation to the whole of a continent, racial group, religion, etc. : pan-African | pansexual.
ORIGIN from Greek pan, neuter of pas ‘all.’

omni-
combining form
all; of all things : omniscient | omnifarious.
• in all ways or places : omnicompetent | omnipresent.
ORIGIN from Latin omnis ‘all.’
* how cool of Apple to use "pansexual" as one of their example words in their dictionary! Convenient coincidence...

* omnisexual would be liking sex in all ways or places? Sweet!

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 08-25-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
If you found yourself attracted to a post-op male-to-female whom you'd believed was a man dressed as a woman, and later found out she was TG: would you claim that you had never really been attracted to her in the first place? Or would you maybe be forced to reconsider your sexual orientation?
Ive met and spoken with lesbians who were partnered with a butch lesbian, then this butch realizes she is actually male, and transitions. The relationship may or may not survive. The nontrans partner, if she stays with the other, now male, person, may still cling to her dyke ID, even tho she now seems heteronormative when walking down the street with her transman or boi.

And now she's stuck with dealing with all that testosterone... just like straight women. God bless her heart.

miss pixi, 37