Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Dating & Friendships > Central & South America

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Default Hello Central and South America

Pipe in anytime. I put this thread in to get things going- do we have any members from this area? We want to hear from you!

I love Catfish and Charlie.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:36 PM

Wink Central America...Belize

Hello,yes,there is at least one couple here who's interested in the poly lifestlyle.We are originally from the Pacific NW,now Belize is our home.Would like to connect with like minded couples/singles here.

We are aware that anything other than the heterosexual lifestlye is not,not accepted here,so utmost discretion would have to be the key here.

If you're here,give us a holler...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 AM

hello, could you please explain "that anything other than the heterosexual lifestlye is not,not accepted here"?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 PM

Hi sailingfamily...Belize is a post Colonial country with a population of approx. 300-350thou. with an ingrained indoctrination that anything other than str8heterosexual is an abomination in the eyes of "God".The gay/lesbian population here lives for the most part still closeted! Just a couple of years ago a cruise ship docked here carrying lesbians only.The women were greeted at the dock by some police officers informing them that they may not hold hands,kiss,or make any other outward expressions of a sexual nature towards each other in public. No,unlike most of the Caribbean,the people don't resort to calling you names,or threaten bodily harm,but you run the risk of being shunned unless you've been able to develop a very close friendship circle prior to coming out,even then you may lose a friend here or there.
Now,can you imagine what their thoughts would be if you were to be open re: being polyamorous? Though it is quite the norm here for a man to have a wife and many other mistresses....patriarchical and chauvanistic mores abound!

Inspite of all that,we don't have any plans of giving up on our desires to find that special one/ones to join us.Our lives are our's to live.....
Old 08-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanignacio08 View Post
with an ingrained indoctrination that anything other than str8heterosexual is an abomination in the eyes of "God".The gay/lesbian population here lives for the most part still closeted! Just a couple of years ago a cruise ship docked here carrying lesbians only.The women were greeted at the dock by some police officers informing them that they may not hold hands,kiss,or make any other outward expressions of a sexual nature towards each other in public.
Thanks for sharing this. As much as it sucks, and as much as I wish you the best in your search, I think it's a good reminder once in a while to hear how things are in the wider world. I find there's a utopian mentality of the 'enlightened' at home... from those who have the luxury of living in places where even as paupers there is a comfortable living, a wealthy social security net, and the freedom to do as they please, including bashing the establishment that feeds them and protects that very freedom.

So much of the world is not so lucky...where the basic freedoms or free thinking ways we might take for granted simply don't exist. Where things like women wearing shorts and sandals is somehow indecent and scandelous...never mind gay rights,...or rights at all.

At least the weather's pretty nice I guess...

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?