Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Site Usage > User Guidelines & Forum Features

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
That could be characterized as their ideas are found lacking and they run away and hide from those folks who just refuse to convert.

I've had folks disagree with me on things here since the beginning--non-stop resistance, if you will. I'll suggest that the difference between somebody like me and the folks who run away is that I'm not trying to convert anybody.
Sure it could be characterized like that. Feel free to do so. It's a lot easier to do that than to listen to the concerns of those who may be on the other side of that. And this isn't about people trying to convert anyone. It's about people who offer differing perspectives that tend to be invalidated here if those perspectives don't sit well with others.

Either way, you're free to do with it what you wish.

Quote:
I look around on here and we have folks doing poly in a whole lot of different fashions. Based on that, I'd have to say I find this criticism lacking.
And I look around here and see something different. Based on that, I'd have to say that I find this criticism of my point lacking.

Quote:
I doubt there's going to be any single place that is suitable for the entire poly community as a whole. Because of that being a practical impossibility, any criticism that not everybody would be happy here is irrelevant, I think.
At what point did I say that everyone should be happy here? I didn't. I just pointed out where the boundaries are.

Quote:
If you think having people disagree with you is catching shit and a horrible experience, then this isn't the place for you. We allow folks to disagree here. We simply expect them to play nicely while they disagree.
Playing nicely and not playing nicely can show up in all sorts of subtle ways. I find it interesting that certain people here seem to catch shit in order to protect others here from catching shit. And whether or not it's the place for me is irrelevant. If you're happy with such spurious and selective standards then clearly this is the right place to be, which is why I suggested that this is not a good place for the poly community as a whole, but good for a subset of the community.

I would suggest that people don't always play as nicely as they claim here, even though it may appear so. You may want to examine how such things play out and how this space can be an unwelcoming place for some people. Or you can say "screw them". There are all sorts of ways to build a community, and if that's the kind of online community you want to build here, then more power to you.

Tags
advice, assumptions, criticism, generalizations, nvc, sniping, wank