Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 10:16 AM

Thumbs down

It's been there since the site started, I believe. I don't put too much faith in that particular section, since you can be in a relationship with the same person listed as a sibling.

(I have a 15yo cousin who discovered this because she constantly rotates "siblings" and love interests among her "BFFs".)
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestheart View Post
'd love to be able to post on facebook i was in an open relationship and then explain to people about poly than just say "in a relationship with" it is also uch better then saying "its complicated"
Especially since it's not always "complicated", at least not in the way I understand that status to mean. I always figured "it's complicated" is for people with those relationships where they haven't completely defined or committed to anything, but they know there's something there... or else they're in the midst of a trial separation, etc. IOW, I always assume "it's complicated" means they're not exactly sure where they stand... whereas with poly, you often know exactly where you stand.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post

Just for shits'n'giggles, I tried to be in an open relationship with my alter-ego facebook account (which existed only for playing those stupid games) and it said "Mercedes is already in a relationship"

yeesh.
HAHAHAHAHAHA......that is freekin' hilarious!!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM

I wanted to acknowledge my boyfriend, because I didn't like the idea of "hiding" him, but at the same time not that many people know we're together... So I decided to go through facebook.
I couldn't add another relationship, which I expected. He couldn't add one with me, either. In the end he chose "in an open relationship" without specifying with whom.

I also have Relationship +, which allows me to have both my husband and my boyfriend in the same place, which I like. I hide the app from anyone but friends though.

My feeling is that facebook assumed that "open relationship" means you're with just one person, you sleep around with people who don't matter enough to be mentioned on facebook, and your "real" partner if fine with it.
For that reason, in Relationships+ I set it as "in a relationship with". I feel it's enough, plus I'm not sure it qualifies as "open", as it seems to me "open" might mean you don't have to ask before pursuing a new person.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:07 AM

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

I wish I could say that I am separated. I can't....can't really say I'm divorced, either, 'cause I am not.
Frustrating. I like to be truthful, and "it's complicated" is really deceiving.

It's not complicated. I'm separated from my husband....who I am still legally married to.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix762 View Post
That's interesting. I didn't know that.

I wish I could say that I am separated. I can't....can't really say I'm divorced, either, 'cause I am not.
Frustrating. I like to be truthful, and "it's complicated" is really deceiving.

It's not complicated. I'm separated from my husband....who I am still legally married to.
Just my $.02 worth.....When I see someone with the status of "separated" I don't necessarily think about them as being legally "separated". I typically think they mean they're still married but not living with their spouse.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Facebook doesn't have "separated" or "getting divorced" as an option, just "it's complicated". That should be changed.

A lot of married couples I know who are nonmonogamous don't have themselves listed as being in an open relationship, because of not wanting to explain to family, co-workers, or high school classmates. One friend's teenaged daughter has her status as "in an open relationship", but her mom's status is just "married", although the only reason the teenager even knows about open relationships is that her mom is in one.