Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
Doncha know? You're obviously screaming that you're free, FREEEEEE! And clearly you'll throw yourself at the first piece that comes along and offers herself to you!
lol
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
Doncha know? You're obviously screaming that you're free, FREEEEEE! And clearly you'll throw yourself at the first piece that comes along and offers herself to you!
I'm pretty certain that should I throw myself at one of them, the poor thing would spend a couple of weeks in the hospital recuperating. Now, should they throw themselves at me, I could catch them, though many would have to recuperate from hitting the floor after I stepped aside.

This throwing thing, it can get messy.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
So I hear. I've occasionally found it more effective, and tidier, to trip a guy and fall under him.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 PM

I think there might be the idea for some of them that if your wife doesn't now and you are wired in a monogamous way, they wouldn't be "sharing". The wife would get the bad parts, they'd get the good ones. Also, potentially, they might be able to "get" you eventually, since cheating would mean there is a problem with your relationship.
With polyamory, even if they have you, your wife does, too. If they want to truly "have" you, paradoxically they might feel it is more the case if you are cheating than if you are not.

I too have the problem of "I'm polyamorous" "Oh, when can we meet up" or "Oh? Er, I'm sorry, but I'm not interested".
I don't know why they always assume I want to have sex with them. They wouldn't assume it if I was single, I'm sure...
Old 08-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty certain that should I throw myself at one of them, the poor thing would spend a couple of weeks in the hospital recuperating. Now, should they throw themselves at me, I could catch them, though many would have to recuperate from hitting the floor after I stepped aside.

HAHAHA! You're too funny!
Old 08-14-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
I don't know why they always assume I want to have sex with them. They wouldn't assume it if I was single, I'm sure...
That there's a link between being single and promiscuous isn't as readily assumed in the overall culture as a link between being poly- and promiscuous. That's one aspect.

When we tell someone we're poly-, not a lot of people are going to think "Oh, I'm hearing this because I've made some recent assumption that's being corrected" or "Oh, this person has decided to talk more candidly about what's real in their life". The reason that a lot of people don't think that is just because they probably have no idea what it's like to have to choose between coming out and lying by omission. So the first reason they can come up with for coming out is "This person wants to tell me that they're available."

It's goofy, but I think that's also part of it.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelia View Post
So I hear. I've occasionally found it more effective, and tidier, to trip a guy and fall under him.
What does one say in such a situation? "Fancy meeting you here"--?

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly View Post
So the first reason they can come up with for coming out is "This person wants to tell me that they're available."

It's goofy, but I think that's also part of it.
That's perhaps part of it. I've had women think I want to date them after they find out we're poly--and they found out during a *group* conversation involving both women and men. I can't see how they would take that and construe it to be a personal message to themselves, as it could then apply to everybody in the group. Why would they think it's addressed to them and not one of the other people in the group?

Mebbe it's just cuz I'm sooooo sexy that they want it to be a coded message to them!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 PM

Plus I think when someone expresses they are poly,it doesn't necessarily mean they are available..there should be something like 'poly but unavailable' just like there is 'single and unavailable' I told my partner about this thread and he was like' omg I get that so much,every woman thinks I want to sleep with them'...wrong!! He has me and his secondar and we are all happy with that!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Mebbe it's just cuz I'm sooooo sexy that they want it to be a coded message to them!
With the emoticon there, I get that you're joking, but I sort-of think in the scenario that you describe there's a pretty reasonable chance that they were into you on some level and were looking for a way to start telling a story in which you were also into them.

Tags
affairs, agreements, casual sex, cheaters, cheating, cheating and poly, dadt policies, dating friends, dating issues, deceit, deception, dishonesty, drama, encouraging cheating, ethics, fuck buddies, fwb, honesty, meeting people, mono, mono / poly, mono-poly, mono/poly, monogamy, monogamy and polyamory, one true way, poly, poly vs. mono, poly vs. open, polyfidelity, sneaking around, std's, sti's, swingers, swinging