Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 06:33 AM

Default hanging out with the boyfriend and his wife

ok... I am so full of questions since I am new..

Am I right in assuming here that being the girlfriend of the married man, it is totally normal to hangout with the boyfriend AND his wife?? What I mean is... Its normal to go to their place and hang out and totally normal if I stayed the night??

lay it on me....
Old 08-14-2010, 06:36 AM

It can become totally normal actually I just spent the entire day with my girlfriend, her husband, her parents, and her ex wife...and now I am spending the night and will get up with their son. And it feels very natural to me

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 08-14-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliS View Post
Am I right in assuming here that being the girlfriend of the married man, it is totally normal to hangout with the boyfriend AND his wife?? What I mean is... Its normal to go to their place and hang out and totally normal if I stayed the night??
Yep. That not being normal is a warning sign. If they think it's normal, you're probably good.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly View Post
Yep. That not being normal is a warning sign. If they think it's normal, you're probably good.
they think its normal.

you guys are helping me here alot.. thanks mwahhhh
Old 08-15-2010, 07:29 AM

Yep, completely and totally normal. And great! And fun! Right?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 PM

MUCH better than if you can't do that!
My husband, boyfriend and I hang out together with the kids, our families etc.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 AM

It's been a while due to scheduling and distance but my GF and her BF and I hang out and it is a lovely time. In fact, my second date with her was dinner and convo with the three of us and we've shared several more times of just being together sharing movies, music and personal narratives. Along with the sometimes awkward negotiations around sleeping arrangements (LOL).

I have found that sharing space and events is a wonderful way of helping to keep the other love from becoming some kind of monster onto whom we can project some of the almost inevitable feelings of jealousy, doubt, or whatever upon.

And the beauty is that BF and I have a genuine liking and respect for each other. That just adds to the beauty and depth of the connection.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Default More than..

Absolutely more than normal - it's desirable.
Not everyone exploring these waters has that luxury (for a variety of complex reasons), so be thankful and flow with it.
Just also be aware that there may come times where you find your presence either impractical or complicated. If/when this happens DO NOT take it personally, be hurt or offended ! It's not easy in this society for a triad to function they way they would wish in all social/professional circles. We all wish it could be otherwise - but it is what it is. And it takes time to work in that direction so be patient and not thin skinned.

Good luck - sounds like you have some real potential there !

GS
Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM

How wonderful to have found a couple that is already so comfy with their poly!!

Congratulations!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM

I do the same thing -- "my" weekends are Tuesdays & Wednesdays -- I drive up to their home when I get off work on Tues am (about 7:30am) -- I have a key to the home & code to the alarm system! When I'm here, he stays with me in the guest room! He refers to me as a "partner", not a girl friend. He dates a couple of other women but just here & there. His wife has a lover she's had for over 40 yrs.! She & I get a long great! Like someone said -- this is not only normal but desired! It's great when folks get along! When the 3 of us decide to watch a movie, she & I sit in the recliners & he sits on the floor so he can touch both of us! We've also gone on dates -- the 3 of us! He sits in the middle so he can hold our hands or arms around shoulder! It's great -- he makes both of us feel special!