Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 PM

I love to sew and crochet when I can find time. I also love doing crafts. I try to get to the gym daily and also play with my kids and dogs to stay active. Socially, i love to get out with friends, whether for a cup of coffee or a weekly meeting for trivia nite at the local hot wing place.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 AM

Gardening is topping the list today, although it is winter and there is snow and ice outside. And although my current plot of ground is too tiny to be believed (apartment dweller). But my partner and I are now decided to move out of the city a bit, to rural land which we hope to share in ecovillage fashion -- a bunch of "green" types with contiguous acres -- an old farm both conjoined and legally distinct.... Private landholdings held together by community purpose.... I'm even going with my partner on Saturday to look at land! It's neither too far nor too near to the city. It has soil and water. What more does one need?

(Edible organic gardening may not be a "hobby" exactly, as it's also very practical, right?)

Outdoor recreation is also near the top of my current list. I/we enjoy camping, backpacking, exploring the myriad exotic places of New Mexico and the SW.

Arts and crafts -- I'm re-engaging with this after a long absence. Primary interests right now are mosaic art and wood carving, but I also hope to continue to engage with watercolor painting and some drawing. I hope to become semi-professional in mosaic art.

Learning -- Is learning a hobby? I love to read, research, watch educational and documentary films, PBS.... My curiosity is unending and extends to almost everything! I've engaged quite a lot in learning about: philosophy, East and West; everything green and "eco" oriented..., wilderness skills, foraging for mushrooms and wild edible plants..., gardening..., you name it. History, social thought and history, politics..., everything fascinates me.

Everything foody and foodish -- eating, cooking, growing, historical, political, theoretical.... Food, like water and sunlight and animal and mineral ... captures my attention and engages me in ...

Conversation & Dialogue -- which is a given.

I'm interested in most everything, to a fault. I make a lousy expert.

Last edited by River; 01-22-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:51 AM

Would anyone object to our changing the title of this thread to "Hobbies & Interests". I think many of us have interests which don't really amount to hobbies, per se. And those are as worthy of listing here as hobbies, I believe.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
He let's you? My ass is the only one that touches my bike when it is in motion LOL! I'm sooo possessive
Mono to the core, and in all things, eh?

For me, being self-unemployed, pretty much everything translates into a hobby. . .

Woodworking: I technically own a business, but since I've spent WAY more on it than I've ever made, we'll have to call it a hobby for now. I design and build modern furniture, as well as woodturning.

Acting: If you include the cost of my college education, than this is another I've spent a lot more on than I've ever made. I've been doing well lately on the income front, though. Also just won a couple of awards from the local theater that I'm active in.

Homebrewing: Kind of dropped out of this one several years ago, but I'm now on the way back in, building up my equipment again.

Video/Film Production: This is a weird one. I haven't been doing much of this recently, but have a couple of projects on simmer right now that could be fun, and fit this nicely together with #2 above.

Other than that I read a lot, and play board/card games fairly frequently. My poker game has been suffering of late, but I still enjoy it!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:29 AM

Adding to my list...

Cuddling -- At least one person above listed cuddling as a hobby, and I regret that I had not. Thus far in my life, almost everyone I've ever cuddled with has been a "romantic" partner, but my plan is to try it out real soon with some of my close friends! (who are not thought of by myself at this time as 'romantic partners') -- if only because it is so obvious that the world hasn't got quite enough cuddling.

Daydreaming -- which involves many various varieties of dreaming while awake. E.g., "spacing out," "hanging out" (loosely, and without apparent purpose or direction), laying out (not drunkenly when I can help it, but rather just laying down and noticing my breath and thoughts [...sensations, emotions, feelings...], as if they were clouds drifing slowly above/within...; ... and then there is the daywishing variety, in which one simulates potentially realizable actualities in the sense of environments, conditions, experiences.... All kinds of daywishing is good. Try it when you get a chance. [One may even do this while awake at other times than daytime.]

Sitting still and doing nothing in particular, but with attention, also known (rather formally) as "meditation"..., which, I think, is best enjoyed as the art of being here now as opposed to getting there then.

Last edited by River; 01-22-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 AM

Default hobbies

travel...east coast USA mainly
rollerblading
hockey,baseball,football,tennis
working out
swimming
photography...just learning. my daughter is a photography major in n.y.c.
woodworking,finishing...buy unfinished furniture and finish it myself
landscape/gardening/design
narrative writing/fiction/essays
music/ music collecting
"googling" just about anything
ebay
tools/repair/carpentry
flooring..ceramic tile & hardwood installation (rough on the knees)!!
volunteer work
history buff
cooking
and of course, girl watching!!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:53 AM

Default What do you do for fun?

Well? What kinds of things do you guys like to do for fun?

I am a pretty avid MMA fan, and I like to actually get in the ring and fight for fun. A close second would be going out to Winghouse to WATCH mma fighting, then after that would be going kayaking.

So what do you do for fun?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:10 AM

I raace my car, occasionally drag racing or open track days or time trials but I freakin' LIVE for autocross (SCCA Solo), it's a neverending challenge and impossible pursuit of perfection thing I guess, lol. Add to that pretty much anything car related, shows, wrenching, custom audio. Been a 'car guy' since I was 4 years old, lol.

We have a lot of fun on the kink side, and frankly between the time spent at home and the time spent in clubs and on forums, etc, that counts as a hobby.

High end audio. Reading. Scrabble. Video Poker, though not so much anymore. More, I'm sure, but that's enough, lol.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM

To watch
MMA
Reality TV (ya ya I know)

To do
Sex (I find it exceptionally fun)
this site
mountain biking
hiking
reading sometimes
Music all the time
Going on dates
Meeting people
Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 PM

To watch:
Food Network anything (for the amateur chef that I wish I was)
Mad Men
Big Bang Theory
DeGrassi (curse you, teen drama...you're my shame)
Football, football, football and more football

Hobbies:
Gaming (console and PC)
Collecting Harley Quinn goodies
Reading
Mindlessly surfing teh intarwebs
Hunting down good farmers markets in the area
Writing
Constantly looking for more things to learn

I'm basically a total nerd. I've accepted that.