Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 12:52 PM

At first, I kept FB for people I have actually met face to face. Then all my high school friends started finding me. Then people who have seen my band. Now I have now idea who I've met in real life and who's and internet acquaintance. So when I get a friend request these days it mostly depends on who our mutual friends are. It's sort of like the mob. Are you a friend of mine or a friend of ours?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 PM

I recently split my FB accounts and created a new one for clients. It was making me uncomfortable to edit my posts in order not to offend my (sometimes) deeply religious clientele, besides, they just don't need to know my joys and sorrows.

So for my personal FB account I will friend anyone who would recognize me in public and say a friendly hello AND those online people whose posts, thoughts or lives interest me.

There are a fair number of fellow cyclists on there, too but we are definitely part of a community and during race season much useful chatter happens.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:04 AM

If u want me to add u I don't mind I just have friends, co-workers and family just message me and I'll add
Old 07-29-2010, 02:17 PM

I add anyone to facebook who wants to get to know ME the person - so basically anyone who wants to know any of me - not just the one facet of me that they know from the website they met me on.

Anyone who is a part of my facebook is aware that my minor children are my facebook friends (my 8 & 10 year old) and that I WILL delete anything inappropriate that they may see.

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 PM

my teens are on mt f-list as well . It's the only way I know what's going kon in their lives sometimes *sigh*. I have a variety of people on there from app neighbours to online friends to family, i'm not pickif anyone wants to add me feel free to PM me for the info.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:24 PM

I actually just went through my FB account and cleaned house. Basically, if you don't know me in real life, you're not on my FB friends list. Simple. I got tired of having people postinbg in spanish, french, and arabic. I don't understand any of those languages, so I deleted them first. Then I got into a depression state, and deleted everyone else that I had never met in person before.

So in order to be on my facebook, I have to know you personally and have met you in person.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL4everu2 View Post
I actually just went through my FB account and cleaned house. Basically, if you don't know me in real life, you're not on my FB friends list. Simple. I got tired of having people postinbg in spanish, french, and arabic. I don't understand any of those languages, so I deleted them first. Then I got into a depression state, and deleted everyone else that I had never met in person before.

So in order to be on my facebook, I have to know you personally and have met you in person.
haha...why not just hide them from your wall ...:P
Old 07-29-2010, 03:32 PM

Partially because I don't know how....Partially because I figure if I don't know them in real life, then I don't/won't ever meet them since we don't really "socialize" at all. Plus, I could honestly not care if they just woke up, or if they went for a bike ride, or any number of other odd things they may choose to post about. I also have no real desire to meet people online, who I'll likely never speak to in person.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL4everu2 View Post
Partially because I don't know how....Partially because I figure if I don't know them in real life, then I don't/won't ever meet them since we don't really "socialize" at all. Plus, I could honestly not care if they just woke up, or if they went for a bike ride, or any number of other odd things they may choose to post about. I also have no real desire to meet people online, who I'll likely never speak to in person.
Well if you ever want to just hide someone, hover to right of an entry on your wall, a little "hide" should appear. Click on it and it will give you options

FANTASTIC for hiding all those stupid games everyone plays.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post

FANTASTIC for hiding all those stupid games everyone plays.
If you use Firefox, there's a filter available that will remove much of the crap from your feed. Game postings, reports that so&so added so&so to their friends list, and so on.

The filter won't guarantee never seeing all of that because FB tweaks its code regularly and the filter won't remove stuff affected by the tweaks. It is updated fairly regularly to deal with the changes, though, and makes FB much easier to deal with.

You can find it at chocolatesoftware.com.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.

Tags
facebook, friends