Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 PM

I have kind of noticed that too. Not that polys are hippies per se but are at least the pagan and liberal types. My husband, boyfriend and I are all very conservative and its making it somewhat difficult for us to find someone for my husband that shares our values but yet is still open to an open marriage/relationship arrangement. Yes we three are somewhat of oxymorons LOL.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:11 AM

I'm more of a hipster than a hippie, at least judging based on appearances. If I had to categorize myself somehow I'm an academic and an anarchist, definitely not into the sci-fi stuff and whatnot. But I don't have any kind of poly community outside of my two partners, so I can't speak of what's "normal."
Old 07-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Goths, Gamers and Geeks mostly that I've come across so far Mostly pretty young too - and I suspect they might describe me as a 'hippy' (Although I prefer the term 'Bohemian' myself!)

This is in the UK . . .
Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 AM

Bohemian, I love that, sounds much more refined.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:26 AM

I have always thought of myself as Bohemian. Very romantic (and it helps that my grandfather was Hungarian).
Old 07-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
I think it is regional. And I to a point have the same problem.

You could always go and try and find another level to relate on. ...

Its funny, I am a sci fi geek...I don't do sci fi
I ran d&d and roleplaying games for decades...I don't relate well to most gamers
I enjoy bdsm play...but for me its just play. I enjoy the rush it gives, I dont live it

But in those circles I have found random people to relate to (and this forum has been good too ) You might have to step out of your comfort zone into someone elses to find what you want, and heck you might like it.
Too true! Both boyfriends are gamers & are in the same D&D 4th ed game right now. A short hiatus is coming up though since the DM is going on vacation. Possibility is wanting to try and run his own game though so who knows? I am in no way a gamer, unless you count word & card games, but find myself attracted to them for some reason.

We have other things in common though & that's how we met, through other interests.

I've found, though, that I usually find someone compatible when I'm least looking for it, lol.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Hmmm...Interesting still guys. My wife and I seem to be having issues with meeting other people....We find them, but as soon as they find out that I do mixed martial arts, or even that I am involved in the martial arts world at all, they never speak to us again. We are feeling like the ugly toads right about now. LOL We don't want to lie to people when they ask us what we do for a living....so we tell them we own our own business. They ALWAYS persist and ask further what we DO in our own business. So we tell them....Then they disapear. ;(
Old 07-18-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL4everu2 View Post
Hmmm...Interesting still guys. My wife and I seem to be having issues with meeting other people....We find them, but as soon as they find out that I do mixed martial arts, or even that I am involved in the martial arts world at all, they never speak to us again. We are feeling like the ugly toads right about now. LOL We don't want to lie to people when they ask us what we do for a living....so we tell them we own our own business. They ALWAYS persist and ask further what we DO in our own business. So we tell them....Then they disapear. ;(
Wohoo @ MMA...I know a few poly people that wouldn't have a problem with that. Personally, I only want to hear details
Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Custodian

It must be grooovy to have such an effective BS filter. If I were you I'd consider this a GOOD thing. Funny how it works - sometimes you don't even get to the point where you have to USE those martial-arts skills.

Seriously, these are probably people you don't want in your life anyway. If someone ran away screaming after finding out how many cats I have, they probably wouldn't make a very good companion for me no matter what else we have in common.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 07-18-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Wohoo @ MMA...I know a few poly people that wouldn't have a problem with that. Personally, I only want to hear details
Which details do you want to know about? The training in 95* heat? Or the ass kicking I got at my last fight? LOL Seriously, I lost my last fight. It only left me ugly for a couple days. LOL Fought a guy who was 15 years younger than me, and weighed 10 lbs more. It...was...a...BLAST! I loved it! His punches didn't hurt at all....It was so much fun I want to do it again and again....However, my body hasn't been so co-operative lately. I broke my ring finger on my right hand, and it still hasn't healed. Once it is operational, I'll be back in the ring again. Until then, I train. My fights are always out of state in Louisiana or Alabama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
It must be grooovy to have such an effective BS filter. If I were you I'd consider this a GOOD thing. Funny how it works - sometimes you don't even get to the point where you have to USE those martial-arts skills.

Seriously, these are probably people you don't want in your life anyway. If someone ran away screaming after finding out how many cats I have, they probably wouldn't make a very good companion for me no matter what else we have in common.
"Groooovy"? Wow...Haven't heard that since...like...the mid to late 70's. LOL It works, yes, but it totally SUCKS and makes us feel terrible. But we love each other, and are completely content with each other. Just wish we could find some others to share it all with. Know what I mean?

Tags
commonality, identity