Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 AM

Default Poly = hippie?

I'm curious....My wife and I have not really identified as "poly" for very long. We used to identify as "swingers", but that was not really what we were. Anyway, since identifying as "poly"....we've noticed that a LOT of poly people or people who claim to be poly, are very much like "hippies" from the 70's. (i.e. smoke pot, want to just live and let live no matter the consequences, wear funky shirts..usually tie dyed, etc etc etc) Sorry if this describes you and/or offends you. That is not my intent. It is just an observation. My wife and I are NOT part of the "hippie" movement or genre.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I know this will offend some, and I'm ok with that. I'm tired of being PC all the time. It is hard to do. LOL
Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 AM

actually I notice some trends. I don't fit into most. ...my wife is a hippy and had an easier transition than I did...

I will simply leave it at that
Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 AM

I find a general similarity in approaches to sex and love actually. I've had an old friend say that poly is just a re-emergence of the hippie movement from her perspective which I think would be shared by a lot of people on the surface. I personally do not identify as a hippie but also don't see anything negative in the comparison....Hey, Hippies are people too!

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 AM

No. The vast majority of the poly folk I know are not hippies. They're friendly with hippies and can be found hanging out with hippies at times, though they are not hippies.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 AM

how is your question not PC? something is not PC when there is a passive aggressive tone behind it that are pointedly rude/bias/disrespectful towards another person or persons... one that is meant to make a dig on purpose or without care for others... you just asked a question. That's it. I can't see how that is offensive.

yes I have noticed that btw.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
No. The vast majority of the poly folk I know are not hippies. They're friendly with hippies and can be found hanging out with hippies at times, though they are not hippies.

Also, the vast majority of hippie folk I know are not poly. They're friendly with polys and can be found hanging out with polys at times, though they are not poly.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:21 PM

Interesting responses so far. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM

I wonder if the poly hippies tend to be older.. (i.e. 45+years old).

I've met other interest groups in the poly community. Wiccans, sci-fi fans and BDSM seem to be cropping up regularly. SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) also is a common factor.

And this applies to the group, in that ... if you are hanging around these groups, you are more likely to find people who are accepting of the poly lifestyle.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairegoad View Post
I wonder if the poly hippies tend to be older.. (i.e. 45+years old).

I've met other interest groups in the poly community. Wiccans, sci-fi fans and BDSM seem to be cropping up regularly. SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) also is a common factor.
I would agree with this. My although I betcha if I went home there would be a lot of poly people that are hippies that are in their 30s. Just a regional thing ...my wife is a hippy and is in her early 30's

SCA...is that the conglomeration name for LARPING? (just briefly looked at the website)
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Custodian

The SCA is a Medieval recreation/reinactment society. Although members do usually create personas, it's not a "role-playing" group per se. It's based on recreating and studying the reality of Medieval culture, not on sci-fi/fantasy.

It says all this somewhere on their website(s).

Tags
commonality, identity