Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 06:36 AM

Post Polyamory: The Next Sexual Revolution? | Newsweek Culture

A friend just sent me the following story via FB....
Polyamory: The Next Sexual Revolution? | Newsweek Culture

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 AM

A friend of mine shared that with me the other day.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:56 PM

Newsweek is a pretty large circulation, mainstream magazine. I haven't yet read the whole piece, but I strongly suspect that this article will have quite a cultural ripple-effect. Look for a show on Oprah before long!

River's Blog
Old 08-01-2009, 12:30 AM

Well, if it becomes the hip new thing I'm not doing it! I like to be a non-conformist. Guess I'll just have to stay mono.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:48 PM

I'm just in it to be fashionable and trendy!

River's Blog
Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Thumbs up

Haha, thisll be great. Now when we all come out and say were poly, people will say WE'RE the poseurs xD
Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Maybe it's just me but there was something about the article and especially the video that made poly come across as ... comedy? farcical? I don't know, just not serious. Comedy is great for opening people up to certain things but I didn't get a very "good thing" feeling from this piece.

Probably just me. Although I do think it is good that poly is being recognized in the media, I prefer it to be with respect and credulity.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:23 PM

Thumbs up

I dont think we can really expect any respect from the world on this matter. Maybe if things progress well, celebrities start doing it, etc. But, idk really how well people would take something like this. Theyd say "What effect does this have on our children?"

To wich id say, What effect does teaching your children to judge people and shun them for being different. Hey, i could be wrong but i just dont see us being accepted at ALL, let alone with respect
Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 AM

There was one part that bothered me because I fear it is true:

Conservatives are not alone in watching warily. Gay-marriage advocates have become leery of public association with the poly cause—lest it give their enemies ammunition. As Andrew Sullivan, the Atlantic columnist, wrote recently, "I believe that someone's sexual orientation is a deeper issue than the number of people they want to express that orientation with." In other words, polyamory is a choice; homosexuality is not. It's these dynamics that have made polyamory, as longtime poly advocate Anita Wagner puts it, "the political football in the culture war as it relates to same-sex marriage."

I am a big gay marriage advocate. I even write an occasional article for my local newspaper arguing againt prop 8 (California anti-gay marriage proposition) as well as other religiously inspired intolerant treatment of minorities.

One of my points is that gay marriage should have been decided way back when interracial marriage was legalized. I even say that all the arguments that were against interracial marriage are being used against gay marriage. I had several black people write me and say that gay marriage is completely different from interracial marriage but they could not tell me how. They could not also give me a reason why gay marriage should be illegal that is not a reason to make interracial marriage illegal.

So I see blacks gaining their rights and ignoring homosexuals. And I am afraid I will see homosexuals get their rights and ignore polyamorists. Will we continue this trend and ignore the next group that is seeking their rights? I am not sure who that will be? Maybe the furries? Either way, I hope that as a group we stick with the philosophy that activities are ok as long as they have the full knowledge and consent of all involved adults.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ123 View Post
Guess I'll just have to stay mono.
You and me both!