Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 AM

Thanks Christie You're right, we are all funny in our own way

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post

Wonder what, if anything will be the sci fi hit
I hear that Disney is supposed to be making movies out of the fourteen book Wizard of Oz series by L. Frank Baum. If they follow the one every two year method that's a good 24 years of making movies. It might just get kids interested in the classics again though.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathesgirl View Post
I hear that Disney is supposed to be making movies out of the fourteen book Wizard of Oz series by L. Frank Baum. If they follow the one every two year method that's a good 24 years of making movies. It might just get kids interested in the classics again though.
... i seriously hope they don't. I wish there were more original movies coming out lately. I'm tired of seeing remakes (whether it be from old movies, tv shows, cartoons, or books) They're nice to see every now and then, but seriously whatever happened to creativity and originality in movies nowadays? Original ideas is a rare commodity in itself though

oh and success and happiness? hmmm... what could I add to that?... well, I'm still alive, that's a success ooh ooh, and I have a job, that's a total win, right? And I'm officially happy
Old 07-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazeGeneration View Post
... i seriously hope they don't. I wish there were more original movies coming out lately. I'm tired of seeing remakes (whether it be from old movies, tv shows, cartoons, or books) They're nice to see every now and then, but seriously whatever happened to creativity and originality in movies nowadays? Original ideas is a rare commodity in itself though

oh and success and happiness? hmmm... what could I add to that?... well, I'm still alive, that's a success ooh ooh, and I have a job, that's a total win, right? And I'm officially happy
Its an interesting point but I think it has to do with how quickly things come out in todays media.

Look at the history of our mythology (greek, norse etc), it would recycle itself every, I don't know few hundred years. As we came closer to the 20th century the peasants became more literate, creating new stories and novels rehashed from previous mythology. Tolkien grabbed on, became popular and voila re-designed mythology into the genre of fantasy.

Scifi was a truly NEW creation as it was fed by the industrial revolution and people suddenly realizing they weren't limited to this planet. However sci fi has covered a lot of bases. And most modern sci fi is rehashed asimov who was truly amazing. There hasn't been anything truly new in decades. While asimov was a dull author, his mind was an acid trip * 10

Now, the point to that spiel...we in fact have a very limited number of stories and story lines. They used to take time to get recycled and rebuilt. But now with tv, movies and books and how quickly people absorb this stuff things get recycled more often.

Now more on topic. I would love to see a remake of oz. It has a lot of potential to be very dark and on point. I honestly believe they should bring back the drive-in style. When they had 3 mini stories...except make it the same movies with different interpretations. Could be a phenomenal way to tell a story. Take OZ and have it created in 3 distinct ways. Seeing a rehashed storey isn't the problem, its the fact they come at you too quickly.

*this is a very simplified breakdown and I am far from a true literary geek, I just like my genres and am pointing out something I realized a couple of decades ago.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:45 PM

I would love to see the Oz movies! I have read Son of a Witch (not the same author and set in the years after Oz fell) and thoroughly enjoyed it!

We already have three Oz or Oz type movies......shoot, I'll move this to another thread rather than monopolize this one.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I'll move this to another thread rather than monopolize this one.
Monopolize....haha

Poly Events All Over
Old 07-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Monopolize....haha
snicker

I guess I made an unintentional funny, lol.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
snicker

I guess I made an unintentional funny, lol.
Yup

Poly Events All Over
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 PM

Brandon Sanderson's stuff - especially the Mistborn series - is amazing, best new author in ages. Just got signed a few months ago to become a movie; I am STOKED! That'll be new...

Niel Stephenson is AMAZING. I am DYING to see someone make a movie of Snow Crash; if the Wakowski Brothers don't do it it won't get done rigt though - it's right up their alley. Anyone who hasn't read this author - you're missing out.

Card's Ender series may not have been totally original (everything is a rehash somewhere, somehow), but it was - and is - amazing. Still waiting for those movies, though...

More happiness happened last night and into today. A growing poly grouping with a strong base, tons of mutual attraction, and great communication being fed by anNRE overdose is a lot of fun, lol. Especially when all involved recognize that part for what it is, intend to enjoy it as long as possible, and are all looking forward to the gentle calm after the beautiful storm. Success so far, happiness in abundance, wish we could share it with everyone somehow because there's too much for just the four of us to handle.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiestManAlive View Post
More happiness happened last night and into today. A growing poly grouping with a strong base, tons of mutual attraction, and great communication being fed by anNRE overdose is a lot of fun, lol. Especially when all involved recognize that part for what it is, intend to enjoy it as long as possible, and are all looking forward to the gentle calm after the beautiful storm. Success so far, happiness in abundance, wish we could share it with everyone somehow because there's too much for just the four of us to handle.
Great to hear!

Poly Events All Over

Tags
family, happiness, happy, hope, living situation, living together, love, moving in, open poly relationships, poly fi, success, vee