Running Advice

DavidWebb

About a month ago I came up with a goal to get in better shape this year and really want to be able to run a 5k by the end of year.
I've started training and I'm already bout 1/3 of the way there!
My wife now wants to start training with me. I think it's great. She's never been a runner before and now among everything else, we get to share this venture together. But my dilemma is how to go about training now. She's not going to be able to keep up with me at first. So when she needs to stop jogging and just walk, do I walk with her and wait for her to build up her strength or do I jog ahead without her so I can keep moving towards my goal? And what if she twists her ankle or something and she needs to stop altogether for a while. Do I just put my goal of running a 5k on hold for this year?

-DW

Running. . .

This is an interesting post to me, David. . .

Is this whole thing a metaphor, or are you really running a 5k and asking for advice about it in the "New to Poly" section of a Polyamorous Forum website?

My advice to you (about, literally, running) is to train on your own and set aside training time with her as well until she is caught up to you, so that you can continue to pursue your own goals while being a part of her progress.

Unless this isn't about running at all. . .

regardless of the metaphor, your goals and hers should not be that tied together. They can be relative, and intertwine in places, but they should be different and individual

This was both a real story (really trying to train to run a 5k) and a metaphor (really struggling with my wife and I in different places).
I guess I should've been more clear. Thanks for the replies though - they did apply to both situations.

Back