Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 12:42 AM

Question

ambi...vert? what???? i know introvert, i know extrovert..... whats this third one?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:28 PM

i am a pretty classic ENFP when things are going good, but when i am stressed, tired or PMSing i swing 'round into INFP. not surprising, since apparently, "unlike other extroverted types, ENFPs need time alone to center themselves" (source).

i can really recharge in either environment. it's all about adjusting my expectations appropriately. which i excel at.

Last edited by joyfulgirl26; 06-30-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestheart View Post
ambi...vert? what???? i know introvert, i know extrovert..... whats this third one?
it's apparently a balance of both.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Ummm are you even in the right thread ...
Sure am. I think I'm an ambivert--it's as much fun to touch myself as to touch others!

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM

I suspect most folks (I'm guessing!) are plenty okay about where they are on the introversion-to-extroversion spectrum, but lately I'm feeling rather boxed in as a result of my having been a lifelong introvert.

Well, I'm on my way toward ambiversion, I suspect -- and I have no doubt that a lot of folks will see me as quite extroverted, until they get to know me well. That's as a result of my being much more assertive than passive. I'm probably much more assertive than the average person. But I'm also, in some respects, probably more shy, too.

Actually, I can surprise people with my occasions of extroversion, my willingness to talk with strangers, my ability to create quick rapport with people, etc. So even I am having a little bit of a challenge understanding my shyness, which is also there.

Maybe it all roots in my childhood -- when I was the proverbial Boy Never Chosen for obligatory schoolyard ball play. That sort of thing. I was a mess, then. Trodden down at home and on the school yard. A bedwetter, a scrawny scardycat boy who made up stories about pirate treasure to try to win friends. I used to have a beadspread with football helmets on it even though I neither understood nor cared for football. I'd do anything to win the acceptance and appreciation -- the love -- that was so foreign and strange to my longing heart.

Ooops! See, there I have gone and done it again. I seem to extravert my introversion. I'm a pro!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Maybe it all roots in my childhood -- when I was the proverbial Boy Never Chosen for obligatory schoolyard ball play. That sort of thing. I was a mess, then. Trodden down at home and on the school yard. A bedwetter, a scrawny scardycat boy who made up stories about pirate treasure to try to win friends. I used to have a beadspread with football helmets on it even though I neither understood nor cared for football. I'd do anything to win the acceptance and appreciation -- the love -- that was so foreign and strange to my longing heart.
It probably does have roots in childhood. I was an introvert for a long while. There was a time in my childhood where the only safe course of action was to not get noticed. If I got noticed, it generally resulted in abuse. That resulted in years of working to not get noticed in any situation in which I was unsure of how I might be viewed.

It took many years of adulthood before I figured I was safe if I got noticed. Now I can play inside my head or outside with others as I please.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
It took many years of adulthood before I figured I was safe if I got noticed. Now I can play inside my head or outside with others as I please.
Congratulatoins, AT! (And a touch of envy.) I'm working and playing
toward such freedom.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 PM

I'm an extrovert, with an introvert mind. In my head I'm shy, self-conscious, a loner, pessimistic, and just generally unsure of myself. But publicly I come off as a friendly people-person. I have always gotten along with most people, make friends easily, I have always had fun with my coworkers no matter where I worked, and have no reservations about talking to strangers (all of our friends are just strangers that we talked to... maybe our parents had it wrong ;-) ) but when I need to be introverted and just have time to myself, the contradiction of my physical personality as opposed to my mental personality just causes stress and pressure because I'm now expected to be the life of the party and keep everyone laughing, even at times where I don't even want to smile... it's frustrating to say the least -_-

side note, what does these 4letter combinations mean as related to your personality type??? I'd like to find out what I am :-)
Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 PM

I figure I am an ambivert. Didn't know there was a word for it. I get energy equally from group situations and from "me time." I belong to a support grp and no matter how depressed or stressed I feel before i go, I always feel up and energized afterwards. However, if I am around family too much, I really need to be alone now and then... I get to feeling drained when there are too many demands on my time and energy. A day to myself is nice then, but if not possible, an hour or two at the gym or with a book helps a lot.

WTH, that personality type website charges $5 to take their damn quiz!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Old 07-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazeGeneration View Post
side note, what does these 4letter combinations mean as related to your personality type??? I'd like to find out what I am :-)

it's the myers-briggs type indicator!

and here's a quick free test.