Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Default Is anybody in this on the boards?

Of course I ask not really expecting an answer because of possible privacy issues, but I'm curious.

I thought it was well done for the most part, and found it especially interesting how much footage of mundane activities like taking out the trash and swiffering the floor there was. Did anyone else get the feeling that there was an attempt there to sort of "humanize" polys by showing them doing their chores like everybody else?

Another weird thing for me- why was the only perspective from the outside presented from the point of view of elderly couples? I think younger monogamous couples would have given a bit more of a provocative response than "Oh, I can't imagine!".

Anyways, thanks for the link and I enjoyed watching this, even though I feel a little funny about it.
-R

P.S. I, too, would be horrified to be at that gathering with the bouncing naked people. That's just me.

I love Catfish and Charlie.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:01 PM

"Alpha males" piss me off to no end. I strive for equality in my friendships. Jerome, the self-identified insecure alpha male, is exactly the kind of person I would not want anything to do with in any context. I'm puzzled as to why so many women find such men attractive.

Last edited by thunkybunny; 06-15-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:40 PM

research what an "alpha male" is, and all you'll have answered your own question.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunkybunny View Post
the self-identified insecure alpha male
Which is almost an oxymoron.

Quote:
I'm puzzled as to why so many women find such men attractive.
I'm not sure why you are puzzled. Confident people are attractive. Alpha males by their vary nature have some degree of confidence. I am only attracted to people with confidence.

Barring their differing communication styles of course. You can be an alpha male and not be a giant douche.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Which is almost an oxymoron.

I'm not sure why you are puzzled. Confident people are attractive. Alpha males by their vary nature have some degree of confidence. I am only attracted to people with confidence.

Barring their differing communication styles of course. You can be an alpha male and not be a giant douche.
That's the puzzle. Jerome called himself an "alpha male", but he also said he would feel "insecure" if he allowed his "submissive women" to date other men. It appears that neither the alpha male nor the submissive women have much self-confidence.

Maybe that's it. Alpha males and submissive women are attracted to each other because they feel comfortable with their common lack of confidence.

Like attracts like. Birds of a feather flock together. Insecurity attracts insecurity.

Last edited by thunkybunny; 06-21-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
That's the puzzle. Jerome called himself an "alpha male", but he also said he would feel "insecure" if he allowed his "submissive women" to date other men. It appears that neither the alpha male nor the submissive women have much self-confidence.
That is definitely backwards.

It actually sounds like what he is talking about being a beta male in reality, knowing this and locking his tribe onto himself. By doing this he eliminates the actual alpha males due to a lack of choice "his" women have. He is alpha in his group, but really he isn't. This will come to bite him in his butt in the end I imagine

In one of the links I posted he does respond to questions like this. Apparently he really got ripped into by the poly community for his narrow minded view of poly. Look under comments on the poly perc site I think
Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
That is definitely backwards.

It actually sounds like what he is talking about being a beta male in reality, knowing this and locking his tribe onto himself. By doing this he eliminates the actual alpha males due to a lack of choice "his" women have. He is alpha in his group, but really he isn't. This will come to bite him in his butt in the end I imagine

In one of the links I posted he does respond to questions like this. Apparently he really got ripped into by the poly community for his narrow minded view of poly. Look under comments on the poly perc site I think
Yeah, it sounds like they made their agreements around insecurities instead of love. If it works, good luck to them. I think it's a maladaptive way to go about relationships.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe that's it. Alpha males and submissive women are attracted to each other because they feel comfortable with their common lack of confidence.
Please don't generalize Alpha males......as with any ranking system, any level can have their douches. I can identify with being an alpha male (bdsm play, sexually, computers etc) and I have a lot of confidence and don't believe I am an ass...I could be wrong of course haha.

Unless I am misreading what you are saying

Quote:
Like attracts like. Birds of a feather flock together. Insecurity attracts insecurity.
Agreed

Of course the interesting part of even using alpha beta as reference points is it implies we still rely on instinct for our ranking systems. When in reality intelligence blows most of that natural selection out of the water. Put me in a computer lab, I will be alpha...stick me on a farm with some cowboys and cowgirls, I am not alpha. Confidence in your subject almost has to be the defining piece.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it sounds like they made their agreements around insecurities instead of love. If it works, good luck to them. I think it's a maladaptive way to go about relationships.
Agreed
Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 PM

i hate doing it because I'm at work at couldn't watch the video...and guys who look like "jerome" i usually hate. However after reading the blog, jerome and several people who knew the family chimed in. It seems the negative connotations are all bbc's fault for editing certain key points.
http://polyinthemedia.blogspot.com/2...u-and-you.html
^ the blog again

I don't think he's the polygamist asshole everyone is making him out to be :/ besides...guys get jealous when they see a dude, with that money women. However they forget he has to deal with 3 pms'...