Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
actually thats partially chemically proven. Too tired to find it now, but sex causes chemical reactions that do mimic love...follow that with actual feelings......
Oxytocin. It's the bonding hormone. Released during childbirth, breastfeeding, and orgasm. It causes a feeling of attachment which is usually directed at the person inducing its release.

I double-checked, and sure enough, the person who said that sex doesn't cause falling in love was a guy. Yeah, it's a stereotype. Because it's frequently true. Women have a stronger ability to produce it, making it more likely for women to fall in love after having sex.

I'm not saying that every woman falls in love whenever she has sex, nor am I saying that men never do. I'm just saying that it's not uncommon for women to fall in love following coitus.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 06-07-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks SC...I was tempted to delete that post because I wrote it when I was tired. I was only 90% confident of my facts.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Thanks SC...I was tempted to delete that post because I wrote it when I was tired. I was only 90% confident of my facts.
Nope, you were spot on.

After a really awesome roll in the hay, I lie there feeling all floaty, and often express myself as "mmm, oxytociny" and then snuggle into hubby's chest... once you're aware of it, it's a really easy hormone to identify

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 06-09-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
Nope, you were spot on.

After a really awesome roll in the hay, I lie there feeling all floaty, and often express myself as "mmm, oxytociny" and then snuggle into hubby's chest... once you're aware of it, it's a really easy hormone to identify
I generally have a very low oxytociny reaction then. I become overly hyper after sex...the odd time I get that high though

But it does explain some things that happened when Pengrah and I were dating our ex. I wish I had known about it before...
Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 AM

Well, I don't know if the floaty feeling is oxytocin. That could just be seratonin and some other endorphins. Man, all this is making me want to take a neurochem course. Why is it that every time I decide on a major, something else really interesting comes up that I want to learn about??

Anyway, the snuggly feeling that I described as oxytocin is the feeling of wanting to be close to him. I don't think it precludes being hyper, however I've read that men produce less of it and perhaps therefore have fewer receptors for it, so it is possible that you also aren't as reactive to it. I know I am!

Oddly enough, topping makes me full of energy. After a session as a top, bringing them to some exciting levels, I feel wide awake and ready to go. Which is often incompatible with the puddle I've turned my partner into :P But good top that I am, I cuddle and comfort them rather than taking off leaving them on their own...

Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM

this thread has been very insightful. Thanks SC for the wiki link. I'm not sure any of my relationships can be pigeon holed into any of those types of love, but i sure can see facets of them in those descriptions.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:09 PM

To clarify information here, the hormones being released that are being discussed in this forum are oxytocin and vasopressin. Both of these hormones have a wide variety of functions co-dependent on the the area of the brain they're in and the given function via RNA and associative links. These hormones are still being researched today, and no definite (they have _ function in _ part of human brain) associations have been made. Most testing is done on "other half" species like rats and Marmosets, and then compared to human brain studies. However tests use different methods, and a innate level of logical association is used when coming to scientific conclusions that you hear people talk about. I encourage anyone to read about the science for believing anything definitively.

peace & love
-gabe

Last edited by rpcrazy; 06-11-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Well, I don't know if the floaty feeling is oxytocin. That could just be seratonin and some other endorphins. Man, all this is making me want to take a neurochem course. Why is it that every time I decide on a major, something else really interesting comes up that I want to learn about??
I thought you had a double-major in chemistry and something else.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough, topping makes me full of energy. After a session as a top, bringing them to some exciting levels, I feel wide awake and ready to go. Which is often incompatible with the puddle I've turned my partner into :P But good top that I am, I cuddle and comfort them rather than taking off leaving them on their own...
Totally get this. What is that chemical called then.... so interesting. I am usually bouncing off the walls and could run my five K in 10 mins I am so charged up!