Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 PM

speaking personally from a bi perspective...i could find a cool guy to date like at least 3 times easier than i could find a girl to date.

Now take that apply to poly, and it doubles the odds. And, i don't(usually) play the game. I meet people by introducing myself first and I start talking. That's it, lol. I speaking in somewhat of a passive-aggressive tone, rhythm, and pitch, so that might have something to do with it. But in general, most girls see their time as a commodity. The girls I've met who act like normal people when you first meet them are very few in between. The conversation is usually fake, they're usually sizing you up and blah blah blah. I'm 25, and I can honestly say i'm too old to bs, lol.

One thing though, is that my experience is limited to california, miama, and las vegas...which are 3 of the most "clicky" and out-of-reality places in the world in terms of gender and inter-personal relationships. I lived in oregon for like 6 months, and everyone i met there was open and friendly. Maybe it depends on where you live?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 PM

No doubt it depends on where you live RPc.
I'm in Alaska. Never been to any of the places you have experience in.

I think it's a lot of where you look too.

Also-as f'd up as it is, it matters how you look.

If you are a "typically attractive" type-you tend to attract shallow people on the offset. Which sucks.

I can't complain-I have the two best men in the world, but it took time and patience not only for them to get me, but for me to get them as well.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:12 AM

I think it has a fair amount to do with stereotypes of men and women. Men are so stereotyped as commitment-phobic, just wanting to get some, etc. I think when a lot of non-poly or non-poly-aware women encounter poly men, they assume the whole poly thing is just a fancy justification for not wanting to commit, wanting to sleep around, etc. Of course, women can get equally misjudged as "sluts," etc. for being poly, but I think it's a lot easier to find men who think it sounds cool and interesting and like something they'd be willing to try when they meet a poly woman, whereas women are more suspicious of the motivation behind a man's claim to poly (assuming they're women who aren't already very familiar with poly, of course).

Tags
dating