Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM

some terms i'd like to be used more.

Multi-amorous(adjective) - defined by the practice of having multiple open relationships, similar to polyamory, but without any pre-defined topological structure in those relationships. Multi-amorous people or couples would typically be seen having multiple romantic partners by preference, with all parties either involved or consenting to the other relationships. In reference to polyamory, both have to same amount of openness and consent involved; as opposed to Infidelity in some relationships; but the multi-amorous dynamic does have to include all the types of romantic love and symmetry you would see in a polyamorous relationship, but could lead to such dynamics if they were possible.
Or something like that...make a wiki!!(it's openly editable, lulz)

i'll think of more while i'm at work
Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcrazy View Post

Multi-amorous(adjective) - defined by the practice of having multiple open relationships, similar to polyamory, but without any pre-defined topological structure in those relationships. Multi-amorous people or couples would typically be seen having multiple romantic partners by preference, with all parties either involved or consenting to the other relationships. In reference to polyamory, both have to same amount of openness and consent involved; as opposed to Infidelity in some relationships; but the multi-amorous dynamic does have to include all the types of romantic love and symmetry you would see in a polyamorous relationship, but could lead to such dynamics if they were possible.

I don't think I understand the difference between multiamory as you describe it, and polyamory as we generally think of it.

Specifically, to what "pre-defined topological structure" are you referring? As I understand it, there is no "set way" to do polyamory. The only distinguishing figure is having multiple romantic relationships.

However, "mutiamorous" is good in that it doesn't mix greek and latin roots

—bisexualbaker
Old 02-16-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcrazy View Post

That's just relationship anarchy (still a subset of poly)
Old 02-16-2016, 02:28 AM
Official Greeter

I might have this wrong, but my understanding is that polyamory and relationship anarchy are partly external to each other (while they do have a crossover area).
Old 02-16-2016, 05:49 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by polymathmo View Post
That's just relationship anarchy
You say that like it's a BAD thing.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscroft View Post
You say that like it's a BAD thing.
No I don't. I'm a relationship anarchist (and a regular anarchist :-P )
Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Official Greeter

Marcus is also an RA, and I think there's at least one other guy but I forget his handle.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:33 PM

The first edition of The Ethical Slut came out in 1997, and uses the polyamory term. So, it's been around as a term for 19 years now, at least! I read this book in 1999.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags, F, 60, poly-dating, loving and living with
miss pixi, F, 38
also seeing
Punk, 42, M (dating since Oct 2015)
Old 02-18-2016, 09:22 PM

Off topic but I've always hated the argument that "polyamory" is somehow a messed-up word because it's from both Latin and Greek roots. Big deal...so is the word "television," and that's kind of stuck.

Back on subject, I don't know of a word that described my last poly relationship: two halves of a couple both in a relationship with one other person, but that person's partner not involved in the relationship. It isn't quite a quad, and "triad-and-one" doesn't seem to cut it.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAndFuture View Post
Off topic but I've always hated the argument that "polyamory" is somehow a messed-up word because it's from both Latin and Greek roots. Big deal...so is the word "television," and that's kind of stuck.

Back on subject, I don't know of a word that described my last poly relationship: two halves of a couple both in a relationship with one other person, but that person's partner not involved in the relationship. It isn't quite a quad, and "triad-and-one" doesn't seem to cut it.
Well, that's basically a joke riffing off of people who argue that poly is 'RONG!' because of reasons.

I suggest 'polycule' as a description for the situation in the last paragraph. While some folks love making diagrams for their relationships (there was a thread about diagramming somewhere), it makes my head hurt. So I just use polycule when the relationships are not a triad or a V and is complex in some way.