Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 PM

Wow... this is a fun discussion!

Thanks RedPepper for the support. It feels great to stick up for yourself! I am going to keep this wave going as long as possible

I have always thought of the "friends with benefits" thing as a sexual relationship with someone without the intention of becoming more intimate emotionally - You (the proverbial you) could be good friends but never move into a romantic relationship even after a long period of time. This is possible for me to do for a short period of time, but after that I get bored and if I do not feel emotional intimacy for the person, or they do not feel it for me I end up feeling like the whole situation is hollow and pointless to continue.

I have no idea where this stems from. Like I said, I wish I could have "friends with benefits". I just don't think I am built for it. On top of that, I don't have any interest in trying to make those situations work for me... I do see the importance in treating significant others as close friends though. And I definitely do not have negative feelings towards anyone that does this... to each their own!