Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Default House "Open marriage" episode

I know this link is ugly, and if it doesn't work out for you, try Hulu in a couple of days and they should have it posted there.

I watched this episode last night and thought it interesting that open marriage was so central to the show. If you are familiar with House, you know that it is a show about a special diagnostics team at a hospital who get the hard cases that no one else can figure out.

It was pretty amusing-everyone on the medical team was intrigued to say the least about the status of the couple's marriage-in fact they spent most of the show trying to find a cause for the woman's illness that was related to her or her husband having multiple sexual partners. (it wasn't)

There were a couple lines in the script from different characters that gave credit to the honesty of the married couple's situation, but ultimately the consensus was that because the husband didn't have any other partners and the wife did, that he must be feeling guilty about something and that's why he "let" her have sex with other people, which was proved in the end. Also, one of the doctors, a serial cheater, brought up "open marriage" with his wife, and she reluctantly consented, but at the last minute backed out, and the doctor cheated anyway.

Ugh. anyway, I guess it was a good example of the misunderstandings and reactions that are out there. I think it's an indicator that the idea is becoming a bit more mainstream, even though it was pretty skewed. Enjoy, if you still feel like watching it after this glowing review!

[/URL]
http://www.divxden.com/v1loecygxlvl/...D-LOL.flv.html

I love Catfish and Charlie.

Last edited by Rarechild; 04-28-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: fixing links
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM

I pvred it. My wife gets back tonight and has asked I don't watch it. She is curious to see the show as well

to be fair to the show a bit, without seeing it, the show does usually have the focus on the patients life. Diving into the good the bad and the ugly. They ripped into larpers last episode
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 PM

I caught the episode. I was just thrilled to see it being discussed and a lot of the things being discussed were very valid points. I saw the downside to some of the discussions also, and at the end I told my partner that I was so happy that I never had to worry about him going off with someone else, because he could just tell me if that was something he wanted (like the serial cheater doctor did, and his wife agreed, then backed out, and he ended up cheating anyways).

Ariakas - I need to see the larper episode. My partner and I would thoroughly enjoy that episode also
Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer View Post
Ariakas - I need to see the larper episode. My partner and I would thoroughly enjoy that episode also
It was more the real life medieval shows you can go to. It showed the back of house of those shows where most of the people there were living real life like it was knighthood, 24/7...

Not really larping...but still role playing
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 PM

I saw the episode. It was done in the usual style for that show I feel. As a whole, I guess it was handled OK. I've certainly seen it handled worse. I wasn't truly offended and that may be saying a lot.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:14 AM

Wasn't very impressed by the show, myself...

** Spoiler Alert **

First, they only discussed sexually open marriage, not romantically, or at least that was my impression. I guess there was the part where the boyfriend tried to bring her flowers when she was in the hospital, to be met with complete rejection by the husband, whom we later find out is only going along with the open marriage thing because he doesn't want to lose his wife. So because of that lack of real honesty and openness, he is rather miserable with the whole situation.

Meanwhile we have one of the other doctors who's been having an affair and brings up the subject of this patient in an open marriage, testing the waters to see whether she would go for it. She already suspected his infidelity, and that all but confirmed it. She agrees to go along with it, putting up the usual restrictions ("Only on Thursdays and you come home by midnight"), only to pull the plug because she can't deal with it.

What also bothered me about the episode was that at the beginning, the doctors says "open marriages never work, it always ends up with one of the spouses being miserable" and then giving us a glimmer that it's possible, only to have the rug pulled out from under us when we learn that the husband does not truly support the idea.

I think this would be such an awesome idea for a Degrassi episode, though! I like to believe THEY would get it right

"Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them."
Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 PM

Ok, DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did, and now I have some sort of "security tool" installed on my computer which I did NOT ask for or approve. This is why I normally don't click on links.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Default sorry

Sorry T- yeah Divxden is fucking annoying- I have popup blockers on and other security stuff so it didn't hurt me, but I'm sorry you got burned. As the link poster-warning- this site will try to throw up all kinds of shit on you- proceed with caution or just look it up for yourself-it's out there.

I love Catfish and Charlie.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:56 PM

TRy Stagevu.com

It's a clean sight and has tonnes of shows/documentaries and movies. That's where Redpepper and I wacthed "Shortbus" and another very poly movie I can't remember the name of now.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 04-30-2010, 05:00 PM

You could also grab them off of torrents, not quite illegal here ...