Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 AM

I am Pagan and recently began my first real poly relationship (started with swinging etc) in my experience most of the pagans I have met are open to poly or at least tolerant of it. As many groups use the quote "An it harm none do as thou will" Poly fits that ideal fairly well. Poly is very much about communication and sharing not only love but thoughts and feelings. It can be scary to "come out" to friends but if they truly love you then they will accept you no matter what. If they don't well that's their problem IMHO.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:58 PM

Smile

I live my life in a Magickal form, and raise a Pagan family. I am grateful to belong to many Pagan groups who participate in very adult situations, post ritual. Family Sabbat's are important for me to have, and we do honor those days in a family friendly no sex way, lol. Now the more adult celebrations, oh-baby, nothing better than sex with a coven mate, the energy is flying. Doing witch work and putting it out there, for the universe to provide you with the people and situations in your life that will make you feel your best.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:00 AM

The first group of people I "came out" to was my current pagan group on campus. Nobody in it is poly but me, but apparently a few former students were. My experience was really supportive. Everyone handled it gracefully and understood that I'm not comfortable telling people about my identity. A few people said they didn't understand polyamory, but I still feel accepted as part of the group.

My experience as a UU Pagan, on the other hand, has been a little mixed. I think it mostly gets mixed/heated when (in a private conversation) talking about polyamory while discussing marriage equality at all. But a few people in my UU Pagan group are very accepting.

I've heard horror stories, however, about UUs at my church being dramatic about poly couples. It's one of the big reasons why I don't talk about it or come out at my UU church.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardehtmai View Post
I am Pagan and recently began my first real poly relationship (started with swinging etc) in my experience most of the pagans I have met are open to poly or at least tolerant of it. As many groups use the quote "An it harm none do as thou will" Poly fits that ideal fairly well. Poly is very much about communication and sharing not only love but thoughts and feelings. It can be scary to "come out" to friends but if they truly love you then they will accept you no matter what. If they don't well that's their problem IMHO.
My experience has always been similar. As a whole, Pagans tend to be very open-minded, especially since our mainstream culture openly demonizes us. I've never, ever met a Pagan who had any qualms with polyamory or any kind of orientation, other than it not being fit for them. From what I can tell, the Pagan community tends to be very sex-positive and socially liberal.

The only thing that I have noticed that neo-Pagans aren't always so tolerant about is recreational drug use, even if it is safe or done for the sake of chemognosis/trance work. In particular, I've noticed Wiccans tend not to use or abuse drugs as much as other people. In college, whenever I would have a "Pagan party," I NEVER had to worry about running out of booze. But that is another subject ENTIRELY. My friend's sister was Wiccan and claimed

I should probably establish that I've been a practicing Pagan for over 12 years and I am highly cognizant of the fact that not all Pagans are Wiccans. However, the earliest tradition of Wicca (Gardnerian) prohibited homosexuals from joining covens because they were "unbalanced" or some other bullshit like that. I think it ended quickly. Then again, that isn't polyamory and there was a lot of sexual openness otherwise. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

But yeah, I've read your comments and some of them actually contradict my experiences but wow, I never confronted that kind of close mindedness in regard to someone else's life decisions that don't harm anyone. I've met some that thought it was weird or simply not for them, but it never made them uncomfortable with my partner(s) or myself.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 AM

Not all "25+" Pagan groups are so full of drama.

I "came out" to my pagan group at the university I attend during a discussion series on rites of passage (it included "outing"). We have a policy that nothing we say leaves the room unless it's okay with the people involved, so I did tell them about it in confidence.

One of the biggest reasons I told them I have problems coming out to people is that I absolutely do not want it getting back around to people in my professional circles. The students that are in my program are extremely judgmental and I may have to work with or for them in the future. My love life isn't their business, period.

The only reason I think I'd keep it from a Pagan group would be if I felt that there was a potential for drama, or if certain people in the group made me feel uncomfortable for other reasons.

Tags
acceptance by a group, paganism and polyamory