Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 06-06-2014, 04:40 AM

Default Grad school abroad, pros and cons

A little background:

I'm in a very competitive BFA program in my university. I live in the US, so our university programs are typically four years for a professional-level degree. This spring, I went to Poland for a study abroad program for my BFA department. Our department head has connections with two very important art schools in Poland (she still teaches at one of them via Skype from the US, which is amazing).

No, I'm not Polish. I live near Chicago though, so there are a lot of Polish people up here. I really admire my department head. She is kinda like the cool aunt. My kinda people: we see many things from a similar perspective.

Anyway, Professor wants me to go to grad school in Poland. I do want to go to grad school, if I get the chance (financial stuff, maybe trying to start a family soon, etc). And my trip to Poland was amazing. I especially loved Krakow.

But there are problems. First, I don't speak a word of Polish (save what I learned from being a tourist). Second, Poland is extremely Catholic: I have been Pagan since age 13. There isn't even a UU church near where I would be going. Thirdly, the homophobia...

One of the students we were with bragged that there "really aren't a lot of gay people in Poland". All of the American students looked at each other and agreed that she probably knows more gay and bisexual people than she thinks she does, (and silently were including some of us in the room). The homophobia in Poland is pretty bad.

I'm sure I would be mostly fine because I'd be married to a dude at that point, but I don't honestly think I could keep my big mouth shut if I had to deal with it. And getting into trouble overseas is probably one of the most terrifying ordeals that I have an unnatural fear of.

I know this is probably just me looking for excuses, but I just wanted to share some of this with other folks.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 AM

I've nearly got my save the dates done. I'm excited to get these invitations over with so I can work on new projects over the summer.

In a couple weeks, I'll be going back up to northern IL for a camping trip. It's a revival really, but not a Christian one, for sure. I'm excited because it's my first time at this big shindig.

In other news, I've tried to reach out yet again to my unrequited love interest in a completely platonic way. I'm depressed at the absence of his friendship, which has been around for 11-12 years now. It speaks louder than any hurtful thing he could say to me.

I've been eating a lot better and I'm starting to keep a log for fertility awareness planning so that I can keep better track of my menstrual cycle. Stress has been really throwing a monkey wrench into the works.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM

The retreat was awesome, but full of storms and heat. There was a bit of nudity at the retreat, which I had been cautioned about, but it was interesting to see other people who feel more comfortable in their skin than I do.

I had a horrible asthma attack induced by pot smoke (I'm terribly allergic), but I'm finally doing better now. Doc said I might have also had some lingering bronchitis or pneumonia, so three weeks later I'm finally able to breathe normally and not feel so much chest tightness.

My fiance and I are going to move in together in a few weeks. Job search is tough right now.