Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Question Partner wants blackout dates for BF

Me and Dan are engaged and have been together for 6 years. I have had prior non-monogamous relationships; but in this relationship I have been poly for only the last 6 months after months of communicating to Dan - who is definitely mono. Basically, Dan will be preparing for the MD exam and has asked me not to go out with other men during a 2 month period while he is studying for the exam 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.
I think this absolutely ridiculous and I feel he is being selfish and petty. His logic is simple, he is still adjusting to me being with other men and each incident is stressful and painful; studying for the exam is stressful enough and having me spend the night out or just dating will be adding to his stress. I object for a few reasons, 1) I think it will be unfair and likely deal breaking to any man that I am regularly seeing at that time 2) I am going to be under more pressure during that time as well as I take on more of the household duties and deal with his unavailability basically he is removing an emotional outlet for me .
I think it is a manipulation but I wonder if perhaps I am wrong?? Thoughts.

boundaries, disagreements, monogamous, time