Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Custodian

Besides, 22 and 27 are BOTH "young".

I have to say I get a kick out of people in their 20's referring to other people in their 20's as "older" or "younger" than each other. And at the risk of sounding even MORE condescending and patronizing (but in a GOOD way, I swear! ), I used to do the same thing when I was in my 20's!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Yes...with age comes, mostly, age. Oh, and wrinkles.

Last fall I went to a Gogol Bordello concert with a woman half my age (no older people wanted to go -- one woman looked at a GB clip on YouTube and said, "That band is crazy! I'd be more comfortable with Aerosmith.")

Anyway, the young woman was 27 and has a divorce and an upside-down mortgage and all that mature stuff. We talked a lot but really I'm a concerned older friend and not a potential romance. I can't help it. She's a brave, smart young woman and I'm happy that her life is going better now.

But I can imagine meeting someone considerably younger and being romantically attracted. Maybe not a 27-year difference, though. That's a lot.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post

I have to say I get a kick out of people in their 20's referring to other people in their 20's as "older" or "younger" than each other. And at the risk of sounding even MORE condescending and patronizing (but in a GOOD way, I swear! ), I used to do the same thing when I was in my 20's!

I think a lot of it for me is I feel older than 27 since I was married at 16. So even though I know I am young I guess I feel older. I have been through so much enough to fill a whole lifetime.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinylove View Post
I think a lot of it for me is I feel older than 27 since I was married at 16. So even though I know I am young I guess I feel older. I have been through so much enough to fill a whole lifetime.
I know that feeling. It took a long time to feel like GG and I were on the same "playing field".
He's only a year younger than me, turned 34 today in fact.
But when we met-he was 16 going on 17. I had just turned 18. But he'd never been on a date. I had a 2 year old! He still lived at home, I'd been on my own since 14. He quit school at 8th grade, I had graduated and started college classes.

It really did make a huge difference and it took years before we seemed to be on the same page age-wise.
Now we do (well I feel that way, I don't think he always does).

At the same time, I'm only 35. YES I WROTE ONLY and while I can look back on my 20s and remember thinking OMG that person is sooooooo young. There are still times I look at people's lives and think OMG I am SO GLAD I'm still so YOUNG.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not even 30 yet, but I do the same thing with teenagers... laugh my ass off when a 14-year-old calls a 16-year-old "old"...

I don't FEEL old. I just "think I feel" old because I'm married, I have a mortgage, a degree even though I'm back at school. But no one at school ever realizes I'm 28, they think I'm the same age as them, about 20... and I guess that reinforces your point, that there's not much difference between 20 and 28. Certainly not as much difference as between 10 and 18, or newborn and 8 years old. But still more difference than between 30 and 38, I think.

Actually, what makes me feel old the most is having a husband who will be 40 next year. Now THAT'S OLD *tongue in cheek*

LoL, it reminds me of how when I was little, I used to ask my mom what it was like in the "olden days", convinced that they still used horse & buggies and oil lamps when she was a kid... For some reason, she found that offensive :P

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 04-14-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
Actually, what makes me feel old the most is having a husband who will be 40 next year. Now THAT'S OLD *tongue in cheek*
MY husband is going to be 40 does that mean I have to feel old?

God I hope not!!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
MY husband is going to be 40 does that mean I have to feel old?

God I hope not!!!!
My husband's wife is going to be 40 at the end of this year.

Does that mean I have to feel "old"?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Women aren't the only ones that struggle with old. In my world and likely perspective I feel old. At 35, I see 10 years with a wonderful woman, but I feel like I have wasted some of it doing nothing. I look around and see teenagers/twenty somethings and can't help but think I am running out of time to have fun

The ridiculous idea that I have stated is even funnier when I look around and see all the fun "older" people who are out there enjoying life in this town. I just feel I can't relate to either party.

Quote:

Age by proxied proxy?

Last edited by NeonKaos; 04-14-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: merge posts
Old 04-14-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:

LMAO YGirl!

I vote for NO NO NO.

I don't think any of us need feel old over all this "turning 40" stuff!!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 PM

You know Ariakas-that is true, Maca ALWAYS struggles with "feeling old" ESPECIALLY at birthday time.

I on the other hand had my bday in March (turned 35) and was THRILLED. I don't feel OLD, I feel damn accomplished!
When I turned 35 I was thinking-HOLY SHIT I MADE IT!
Because at 16 when I had my daughter, I was thinking OMG WILL I LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO RAISE THIS KID? My life was a wreck, I was a freaking wreck.
But I got my head out of my ass (pretty much overnight) and put my working clothes on and worked my ass off.
She turned 18 in September, I turned 35 in March and both events resulted in "DAMN, I didn't think I could make it!" Followed shortly thereafter with "And I can't fucking believe I did such an amazingly good job!"

I look at my youngest (2 1/2) and I think-shit, I did such a freaking awesome job with the oldest-I can DO this. I have so much more knowledge under my belt, so much more experience, SO much more confidence....

It seems like I'm finally "living up to my potential".........

Is that odd?