Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Official Greeter

Long before I heard about polyamory, I realized that true morality is all about consent. Sounds so simple, and maybe it should be simple, but in reality people struggle to identify what consent looks like.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:31 PM

I'm a fan of the Rede: an ye harm none, do as ye will.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
Long before I heard about polyamory, I realized that true morality is all about consent. Sounds so simple, and maybe it should be simple, but in reality people struggle to identify what consent looks like.
This is so accurate.
H-my partner
Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Official Greeter

And there's debates about what "hurts" somebody else. A lot of people think same-sex marriage would hurt them and their family (by eroding the society they live in, to put it succinctly). A less-charged example would be if I decided I wanted to paint my house orange and purple, and my neighbor argued that it would hurt him first of all because his eyes would be hurt, and secondly because it would affect property values.

So a line has to be drawn where you say, "Sorry buddy, but that's not enough so-called 'hurt' to give you special rights over another person's freedom."
Old 04-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
And there's debates about what "hurts" somebody else. A lot of people think same-sex marriage would hurt them and their family (by eroding the society they live in, to put it succinctly). A less-charged example would be if I decided I wanted to paint my house orange and purple, and my neighbor argued that it would hurt him first of all because his eyes would be hurt, and secondly because it would affect property values.

So a line has to be drawn where you say, "Sorry buddy, but that's not enough so-called 'hurt' to give you special rights over another person's freedom."
I see some of those arguments as status quo arguments. Bullies will often justify the suffering they cause, but anything which erodes their ability to cause suffering - or worse, things which make them have to endure suffering - is suddenly the biggest, worst thing in the world!

I see the same thing going on here. People who would like to continue to mock, harm, and deride homosexuality want to defend their privilege to do so. When homosexuality is validated by law, that further erodes their legitimacy when they attack homosexuality.

People did the same thing with racial issues. When equality and other ideas entered the mainstream consciousness it suddenly became unpopular to use derogatory terms against black Americans.

Yet there are people who still exist today who harbor a simmering resentment against black people and those who champion equality.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Official Greeter

Indeed. It's a problem that never quite seems to go away. I stubbornly hold to an optimism that future generations will see fewer bullies and bigots, but I also think it'll be a slow process, with perhaps no point where every bully and bigot has disappeared entirely from the social landscape. The large number of living people leaves quite a little bit of room for those occasional nutjobs. So it's all relative, if you take my meaning. "Racism has greatly diminished, but still exists in pockets here and there." That's something that some future generation might be able to say.