Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Hey! No provoking jonnyace!

Out out out! Both of you, you're wrecking my thread! unless you are sharing a recipe?
sorry there RP

the only thing i can think of (prob. b'c i just had them) are latkes. the trick is to buy a box mix, and add in real potato, that way it has a homestyle taste.

Theyre easy to make, and filling. Traditionally eaten w/apple sauce, or sour cream, but you can put whatever you want on them.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Mmmmm...!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

I made a veggie shepherd's pie with mushroom gravy as a main course last Thanksgiving. I also have a great soup with chick peas, parsley and eggs that went over well. Let me know if you'd like the recipes for them.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Oh yes please to the shepards pie! I make one with ground round, but its tasteless. My friend just gave me a recipe for a lental one I haven't tried that looks good. I have a freezer full of chantells that make excellent gravy.

Thanks

Last edited by redpepper; 12-24-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 AM

hands down the best chocolate cake recipe is in the Rebar cook book (pg219). I made it last night for the dinner party we went to. It is to DIE FOR! seriously, never made or had one better and I am a chocolate cake addict!

Actually, everything I have made from that book has been really really good.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:15 AM

Isn't all chocolate cake vegetarian?

Now vegan chocolate cake... not so tasty... I mean, it's really sweet and chocolatey and gooey, but it's just missing "something." It tastes...watery... Cake without milk and eggs just doesn't taste right. I have a friend who's vegan.. I could never do it... Vegetarian I could do, provided I had a personal chef, since I would never get all my protein and vitamins, left to my own devices.

I'm going on a 2-month Buddhist course and retreat in Nepal this fall. They provide all your means, vegetarian. I'm so excited to be a vegetarian for two months, without the trouble of figuring out how to be healthy about it!!

Vegetarian Recipes? I make a mean spinach lasagne... even my redneck husband was forced to admit it was delicious. Of course, vegetarian chili is always a classic. Don't bother with that ground round stuff, just use extra beans and veggies (mushrooms, carrots, celery all work). Tacos, using refried beans instead of beef. Veggie pot pie is yummy. I *love* falafels, as well as hummus with anything.

I just want to add, all the best vegetarian dishes I've had were "originally" vegetarian. Trying to take a beef dish and convert it to vegetarian never seems to work out quite right. It can still be delicious, but usually you have to go so far from the original meat recipe that it becomes a whole new dish... I've never been a fan at all of fake meat. I just don't see the point. If you want to taste meat, then eat meat. If you want to be a vegetarian, don't pretend to eat meat :P I stick to this even when you're trying to convert meat-eaters (although I think that should be a personal decision).

Of course, if the motivation is health-related, i.e. high cholesterol or heart condition, it's a slightly different story. In that instance, you probably don't "want" to be vegetarian, you're doing it because you "have to" and then it makes sense (I guess) to "fake it." :P

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by NeonKaos; 04-14-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: merge posts
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Mmmm, maybe, Schrodinger's. I kind of like the "savory" part of the meat taste, though. So a vegetarian recipe that has that richness is nice.

You guys go to epicurious.com/ much?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugenePoet View Post
Mmmm, maybe, Schrodinger's. I kind of like the "savory" part of the meat taste, though. So a vegetarian recipe that has that richness is nice.
I agree. But fake meat doesn't have that anyway, does it?

They say mushrooms, like Portobello etc, are good alternatives for that fleshy meaty taste and texture... I can't stand mushrooms, so I've never ventured into big gigantic main-course ones, but it's *cough* food for thought

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 AM

Mushrooms ARE really great for meaty things. Yummy. Portabellos or baby bellas.

I missed this for the holiday post started here but Field Roast brand makes a field roast that is basically a grain meat with a stuffing in the middle. I don't like the taste cuz it does taste a lot like turkey and I'm not a fowl eater. They also make some really bitchin grain meat sausages. You can find them at Whole Foods.

Ari ~ a Veggie/Vegan
Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 PM

Well since it's almost bar b q season now one of my favourite vegetarian things on the bar b q is portabello mushroom caps with goat cheese and roasted red peppers on a hamburger bun. Now I'm hungry!

-Derby

Tags
cooking, recipes