Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan3232 View Post
I am not saying there is a correlation, but I do not know many monogamous families who would consider co-habitation as even an option.
I worked with a guy from Colombia years ago who moved his mom up once he was able to purchase his house for he and his new wife. He got a place with an extra room and it was the plan from the start. I was stunned and it took me a while to realize that this was simply the norm for his society and nothing more.

In less financially stable countries I understand that it is common for families to combine where multiple different branches of the family life together because it's "normal" because it was necessary.

In the US it is less socially acceptable to live in groups and is generally stigmatized as a commune/hippy type situation. In my opinion this is one reason you don't see groups flocking to live together even if it would make the most financial sense... fear of doing anything against social norm.

Quote:
If you have something to back that up, please share it because I would like to read a credible article explaining an increased trend for families to seek co-habitation.
What you are describing is something very specific and it is unlikely that there will ever be census data on such a thing. People who need to save money do so by cutting costs on things according to their own list of priorities. If I determine I can't make ends meet my first solution is to find a roommate. This is a very normal thing to do (evidence: Craigslist). People who have families are probably less likely to take on a roommate as their first choice because there are so many more variables (children, mortgages, etc) and that is saying nothing of the social stigma associated with it. A family combining with another family would be even MORE of a clusterfuck and I can see why people wouldn't jump at the opportunity.

I'm not convinced that there is anything particularly enlightened about polyamorous people when it comes to bringing their family into a roommate or multiple family living situation. The number of variables is roughly the same, though an argument could be made that there are more to deal with for a poly family/group.

Quote:
So, my point with poly folks considering these options is to say that an effort needs to be made from somewhere, why not be poly folks
If you think a mantle needs to be taken up to increase family cohabitation then I hereby grant you full authority to take to the streets and spread the good word!

Tags
#beyondtwo, #curious, #wsj