Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 AM

Post Poly Social Networking & Connecting

Hey everyone,

I am hoping to gain some insights/input/feedback from poly folks and their preference in social networking & connecting with like-minded people online.

What sites do people prefer? Why do you like those sites? I would love to here as many details and positives/negatives as I am relatively new to the whole poly world.

Currently, I am registered on Beyondtwo.com, Ok Cupid, and I am researching a few other potential sites. I am still evaluating these sites, but I would appreciate it if anyone would share their experiences online with finding other poly people.

Thanks.

Ryan
Old 03-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Maybe we have different definitions, but when I think "social networking" and poly I think sites like this one. When I think "dating" and poly I think of sites like OKC. Different things to me
H-my partner
Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan3232 View Post
Hey everyone,

I am hoping to gain some insights/input/feedback from poly folks and their preference in social networking & connecting with like-minded people online.

What sites do people prefer? Why do you like those sites? I would love to here as many details and positives/negatives as I am relatively new to the whole poly world.

Currently, I am registered on Beyondtwo.com, Ok Cupid, and I am researching a few other potential sites. I am still evaluating these sites, but I would appreciate it if anyone would share their experiences online with finding other poly people.

Thanks.

Ryan
I tend to only be on this, facebook (more specifically poly groups) and I used to use OKC. Since OKC is definitely more geared towards dating it was difficult to use as a social site. But it is possible.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Like they've said, it depends on what you're looking for.

My much younger partner hipped me to what's going on amidst the dating apps, which she enjoys browsing, if only for new friends and the occasional possible date.

Tinder - the straight person's version of Grindr, a gay hookup app. Tinder is basically an app where you make a choice whether you think the person is "hot or not", meaning hot enough to meet. If they are a mutual match, y'all can start chatting. The unspoken rule of Tinder is that it's for hooking up/sex, after a few casual dates first. Beware though, youth and beauty are required to be successful. Or at least a picture of a dog in your profile

OkCupid - again, a young audience, but more of a relationship seeking app.

Plenty of Fish - much older, more world-weary audience. You're going to find members here who are mostly 30-60s, have at least one kid, and who are looking for something long term. Nothing wrong with any of that of course.

Skout and DateHookup are kind of a mix of OkC and PoF, but with much fewer users.

As for poly-dating specifically, I'm not the expert. Sorry.

Audrey - female, 20, poly, pansexual, also casually dating.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM

I am a fan of getting out and socially connecting the old fashioned way... In person.

I have have huge success with it.

Butch socializes with folks he has met on Fetlife.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Chops has had varying degrees of success with OKC. He's on some of the Facebook poly groups, but I think they're not his cup of tea, as many of the groups on FB tend to be a bit "meat markety".

He's also used meetup.com to find a local poly discussion group he enjoys - less focus on dating and more focus on talking.

Your mileage may vary - I think Xena enjoys the FB-based local meetup groups more than Chops does.

As I'm mono in a poly world, I get intimidated by the in-person poly groups. Instead, I pretty much go online to relate to other folks in poly relationships (here, and the Yahoo mailing lists for mono/poly relationships).
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 03-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Official Greeter

Poly networking and/or dating sites/pages worth a look:
My best experiences -- though that's not saying much -- were with OKC and PolyMatchMaker.

As for POF (Plenty Of Fish), I have recently heard some bad reviews of it, and that it's not as poly-friendly as it should be.

This thread is the first time I've heard of Tinder, Grindr, Skout, or DateHookUp, so you'd have to try them directly to see if they're any good.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish View Post
Like they've said, it depends on what you're looking for.

My much younger partner hipped me to what's going on amidst the dating apps, which she enjoys browsing, if only for new friends and the occasional possible date.

Tinder - the straight person's version of Grindr, a gay hookup app. Tinder is basically an app where you make a choice whether you think the person is "hot or not", meaning hot enough to meet. If they are a mutual match, y'all can start chatting. The unspoken rule of Tinder is that it's for hooking up/sex, after a few casual dates first. Beware though, youth and beauty are required to be successful. Or at least a picture of a dog in your profile

OkCupid - again, a young audience, but more of a relationship seeking app.

Plenty of Fish - much older, more world-weary audience. You're going to find members here who are mostly 30-60s, have at least one kid, and who are looking for something long term. Nothing wrong with any of that of course.

Skout and DateHookup are kind of a mix of OkC and PoF, but with much fewer users.

As for poly-dating specifically, I'm not the expert. Sorry.

Vanquish,

Thanks for the reply.

Since I am of the "hip" crowd since I am 25 and relatively connected to apps, I can verify some of your younger partner's insights. I have a friend few who utilize tinder, but the problem to tinder, it seems to only be for hooking up.

Of all my friends, I do not know a single one who actually started dating a girl from tinder, just sex, which is fine. However, I am generally interested in developing longer, more fulfilling relationships. As enjoyable and pleasurable sex is to me or anyone else, there has to be more. Plus, haha I would never trust tinder with a 10 foot pole.

I am curious as to more about your story, how did you and your partner(s) meet?

I have started using Beyondtwo & Ok Cupid; so far, I like Beyondtwo because it seems like both a dating & social networking site and Ok Cupid appears to be more of a dating site, as you have mentioned. Either is fine, but I would love the complete package in a website! Is that too much to ask?! haha kidding, sort of.

What are your thoughts on plentyoffish? I am not familiar with that site? I will be looking it up and comparing/contrasting it to some of the other poly sites while awaiting responses!

Thanks

Ryan
Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 PM

1) Youarehere, what do you think of the yahoo mailing lists? Is that the same as the yahoo groups? I just joined a yahoo group called "Expansive Loving", accepted yeterday.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...veLoving,/info

2) Dagferi; I do like your style, but unfortunately, I am have been very at work and I do not see it letting up for the foreseeable future so it is difficult to go out into "the wild" without having a prior meeting/date set-up. I am actually doing all of this because the partner I am falling for, Melissa, is much more experienced with poly than I am, and I want to do everything in my capacity to help her find complete fulfillment. I am poly as well, but the relationship that is evolving is going to be polyandry, so I am trying to do my part to help seek out potential partners for her.

Generally, in regards to poly sites, what kind of features/set-ups do people enjoy? I have compared BeyondTwo, Ok Cupid, and I am starting to look over plenty of Fish, so I am curious as to your insights.

As I briefly mentioned above, I would like the whole package; being able to find potential poly partners, for Melissa, while also having the ability to easily connect and chat with like-minded individuals. I do not think I am going to be able to do that on Ok Cupid. I think it is very possible with Beyondtwo because of its friendly set-up. I have also started checking out Fet Life for poly partners; they have some groups, but I am not sure.

Any feedback/comments/reactions is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 11:28 PM

Arrow Co-habitation/Communal Living

Hey everyone,

Primarily, I am posting this thread to get some feedback/comments/insights into various websites for poly folks.

The initial choices thrown into the discussion are as follows:

1) www.beyondtwo.com

2)http://www.okcupid.com/

3) Poly Facebook Groups such as 1) Polyamory

4) Meet-up Groups

5) Plenty of Fish

-Feel free to add any others as well.

-Basically, I am wondering what people think are the positives and negatives of each site? Moreover, if you could revise or make any additions to any of the sites discussed, what would you add?.
I am involved in 1-3 while research 4-5. As for current recommendation, I would recommend checking out Beyondtwo!

Thanks.

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan3232; 03-20-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Add something

Tags
#beyondtwo #okc #advice