Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-10-2014, 06:55 PM

Default Mono Vs. Poly

I was discussing the concepts, oh, I wish I remember who posted it now, but basically breaking mono and poly down the following way:

Monoamory: emotional/romantic connection with one person
Polyamory: emotional/romantic connection with more than one person at the same time
Monosexual: physical relations with one person
Polysexual: physical relations with more than one person at the same time (not necessarily in the same bed)

If you think of it like that, instead of monogamy and polyamory; it opens up a lot more. Polyamory means a variety of things to different people. But using the above options gives a lot more flexibility. I think in a lot of cases people think of monogamy as "monoamorous" + "monosexual" and polyamorous as "polysexual" + "polyamorous." I think a lot of the confusion arises when people mix them up, though.

Like, when people say poly is all about sex. I think it's because what they've seen is "monoamorous" + "polysexual" and people feeling the need to choose either the poly or mono label, when truthfully they're both. So, yes, in that case being "poly" IS all about sex. Because the portion of poly they're associating with is the "sexual" and not the "amory" part.

Guess my point is you can be polypoly or monomono, but you can be monopoly, too

Did that just come out as utter nonsense?

Edit: I know my definitions weren't exactly the same as the original ones, but I think they're close enough.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 PM

Wait for the confusion when you tell someone that you're asexual and poly, so it's not about the sex at all for you...
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneMystic View Post
Wait for the confusion when you tell someone that you're asexual and poly, so it's not about the sex at all for you...
True. I guess you should really add an option for "asexual" and...."a-mory" (not capable of loving any?)
Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 AM

The way I see it, polyamory is about emotional/romantic connections by definition, but since the vast majority of people are sexual, multiple romantic connections almost by default means multiple sexual connections as well. I don't think "polyamorous + monosexual" is very common.

On the other hand, "monoamorous + polysexual" is pretty common, and some of these people misuse the polyamory label, which causes the misconception "poly is all about sex." There's another label for them - sexually open.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyinPractice View Post
True. I guess you should really add an option for "asexual" and...."a-mory" (not capable of loving any?)
aromantic is the word you're looking for. Aamorous would be too confusing, since amorous means loving, plus aromantic (aro for short) is already an established term.

Don't forget polygamy/monogamy (number of actual partners, physical or not). Being polyamorous doesn't mean you have several partners (or even any) at the moment.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Banned

I feel that people tend to (mis)apply the "polysexual but monoamorous" label to people who don't appear to want to commit to them or anyone else. Commit by their standards, anyway. The truth is, like others have said, someone might not be in the right place to develop (additional) relationships with the features of traditional romantic commitment but it doesn't mean they won't ever be and it might just mean they don't feel they are compatible with you for that type of relationship.

Poly doesn't mean that every single relationship you choose to pursue involves or even had the potential for involving romantic love.

I do agree, however, that some people who genuinely want polysexuality with monoamory feel compelled to adopt the polyamory label due sex negative stigma. The apparent focus in polyamory on love and it not being simply about wanting (dirty/sinful/shallow) sex with loads of people purifies non monogamous desires for some people so they stray to this relationship style when NSA swinging would possible be a better fit for them.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
Poly doesn't mean that every single relationship you choose to pursue involves or even had the potential for involving romantic love.
I'm assuming this means every single sexual relationship? Not friendships or other relationships.

If so, I absolutely agree that someone can be both poly and open, or identify as poly and pursue casual sex. I'm primarily interested in poly relationships, but I like to have fun, too. As long as you are clear with your intentions with that person-- wanting a poly relationship or a casual encounter-- I see no issues in one being both.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Banned

You can't always say whether something will start casual and become more serious and/or long term with more entanglements.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyinPractice View Post
. . . I absolutely agree that someone can be both poly and open, or identify as poly and pursue casual sex.
There have been some hot debates about that on these boards over the few years I've been coming here!

Many polyfolk feel that "it ain't poly if you're just fucking around." They call that polyfuckery. Most polyamorists, it seems to me, tend to agree that there should be some sort of loving quality to relationships in order to be considered poly - but they also recognize and accept that one can have that and casual liaisons with others as well.

And yet, I've encountered a little bit of criticism and been pooh-poohed because some people think that what I want in my life is not really poly, since I mostly want lover-friends (my term for FWBs) in my life, rather than more entangled partnerships or boyfriends - as if that can't possibly be loving or I couldn't possibly fall in love with someone with whom my relationship has more casual parameters than most would expect. That is poppycock, of course (not that I care one iota whether or not my life meets someone else's criteria for poly, anyhoo).

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 03-15-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
some people think that what I want in my life is not really poly, since I mostly want lover-friends (my term for FWBs) in my life, rather than more entangled partnerships or boyfriends - as if that can't possibly be loving or I couldn't possibly fall in love with someone with whom my relationship has more casual parameters than most would expect.
Of course FWBs or relationships you go into with solely sexual intentions aren't "poly" relationships....but where do people think romantic, long term relationships come from, anyway? And sometimes you go into something, insisting it'll only be physical, and then feelings develop....

*off my soapbox now*