Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 AM

Sometimes I use initials when I've just gone on a date or two with someone and don't know whether or not I will keep seeing that person. As soon as I think the relationship is going to continue, I put a lot of thought into the alias I will use here. Either that or they are an established friend in my life. I base my nicknames either on physical features or personality: Shorty (he's 6'5" tall), Burnsy (for his sideburns), Bony (skinny guy), Dreamy (no explanation needed), Cranky (could've been Whiney too), Lively (full of energy), and Chessy (for his chestnut brown complexion). I like to always end mine in -y to give myself a challenge (hey, don't steal my idea! Get your own suffix or prefix!). I try to make up aliases that really fit the guys in some way, and that makes it fun!

But count me as another person who cannot follow all the T's, M's, A's, P's, and so on. What it does is mixes me up on who is posting - I will confuse one member with another because they both are writing about people using the same initials. So then I can't really get as invested in their stories or give much feedback because I'm confused about who is who.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry

Last edited by nycindie; 02-25-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 AM

As much as I want to read some post my eyes simply gloss over with a sea of M's and D's. Nicknames are always appreciated. I feel I know Ginger more than just a G but maybe that's just me...
Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 AM

I have conceded. Besides, with each new metamour, people were starting to sound like car models.
Xena (previously known as M1): My metamour, Poly. Also in an LTR with Chops. Dating Noa and some others.
Noa (previously AG): Dating Chops and Xena (individually).

My navel-gazing blog thread:
A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 AM

I lack imagination to make up nicknames. The ones I use were made up by someone I used to date.
He used jobs and/or country of origin.
I will go amend sig
Joe: 40s, male
Ms. Text: Prof's partner, female (S)
Ms. Admin: (L) Prof's FWB
Old 02-27-2014, 04:12 AM

I very much prefer nick names over initials. The names chosen for my loves are actually the names of the cars we drive. Lol.
We have seven dependent children between us.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 AM

Smile

Hi Opal,

So it took me a couple of days, but I've come up with some. The connection for each nickname is pretty obscure, but Clyde likes his. He was mulling over the idea of getting a button that says "Clyde" to wear to a polyboston gathering.

Thanks for pointing out the usefulness! I would not have guessed, myself.

FAL

--------------------------------

M - Me female, 59 - _trying_ to figure out if I'm poly
Clyde (previously B) - 56 - my husband for over 34 years
Jacques (previously JP) - 58 - my high school boyfriend, newly appeared in the picture after 38 years; very long distance; haven't actually seen him
Artemis (previously A) - 65? - Jacques's wife of over 30 years, who's not cool with things
Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM

Heh. I love my PunkRock Awesomesauce! He really is all that. I have been thinking about changing my husband's moniker from a letter to a name. I'll do that soon!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:04 AM

I have just stopped reading posts with single initials. Becomes hard to follow. I do agree..

besides in the end.. who is going to know who Mark vs M is?.. really and honestly. .. unless you are all trying to remain hidden from each other on this site of course
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM

This is a good thread, indeed!

As I first started lurking here on this forum, there were sooo many people using only initials in the posts that I thought this is how it is supposed to be. Then I realized that some people have nicknames for the people in their lives... and I ended up mixing these two. Let's see if I can find a better nickname for my hubby than the two-letter one I am currently using (well, two letters is better than one, right??).
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Not only are nicknames easier to read, but they're actually more anonymous than initials. If you're A and your partner is P and your other partner is S, then someone who knows all three of you might be able to put it together. Nicknames, on the other hand, can bear absolutely no relation to the real person. Indeed, you can make them deliberately obscure just to mislead people. For example, Cue has absolutely no interest in pool.

"A real relationship doesn't properly begin until the NRE burns away. That's when you have to start dealing with this person as an all-around human being, replete with irritating little habits. When disillusion sets in, love can begin."