Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Wow that is really lame.

Hinge in a poly-fi vee with two mono men
Wife to DarkKnight, Girlfriend to PunkRockAwesomesauce
My Online Journal
Old 02-08-2014, 11:45 AM

Yeah, they used to have a partner option in the family section, but they later removed it. But there is one thing you can do: you can add a life event. From there choose relationships (or something similar) and choose started a relationship or started an open relationship with... and there you can add many people at once. I did that, so then it just popped up in people's newsfeed that 'Mya is in an open relationship with rory and Hank' (with links to their profiles). It's not the same thing because it won't be visible forever, but at least it shows up to more people because it's a life event instead of a regular status.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 AM

Yeesh... Luckily, we managed to be grandfathered in (pun intended) when they allowed multiple partners, so P's family list is still intact.

What P ended up doing, in order to have something in the "relationship status" part of his profile, was to create a page for the two of us and be "in a relationship" with that page.

Of course, creating a "fake" page is against Facebook's terms of service, but they haven't shut it down yet...
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Banned

Wow, social media acknowledgement is vital to you guys. I removed my relationship status. The Daddy person has in a relationship with no link to me.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 AM

I feel the same as london. I know it sucks that FB is so poly-unfriendly, but I don't get why FB relationship status is such a big deal. If you want people to know you have more than one partner, you have other ways to tell them. If your only contact with someone is via FB, I doubt it's important for them to know your relationship status anyway.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:27 PM

I hate FB but was urged to join by colleagues in my field so I could create and link to Pages for my projects and create some buzz. However, if I don't have a project going on (which unfortunately is most of the time), I rarely login to FB for my personal account. Unfortunately, some members in my family insist on using FB as the main way they stay in touch with relatives, so I get messages sent to me through the FB interface - which I hate. Just email me directly, please! But no, they have to use FB for some reason.

My account is set to pretty much only let my family see each other in my list of who's connected with me. Everyone else who is connected to me on FB cannot see my pictures, friends list, etc. Professionals in my field see posts about my projects and that's it - they don't see my family or friends. I am the only one who can post to my wall and I am very selective about who sees my posts. I never understand why people who don't know each other want to connect on FB and let strangers see their personal pictures and connections. I am always flummoxed when I read here that people use FB as the primary way to communicate with others in their lives. Whenever I see posts like, "He posted such-and-such, what does he mean by that?" or "She added a pictures of so-and-so, so it must mean we're over," I always think, "Can't you just call them and ask?" Why all the strategizing and interpreting? I just don't get it. And sometimes I want to enter a sweepstakes or contest, but when I have to login to FB and like a company in order to do that, it really pisses me off.

So, I guess you can tell that any kind of relationship status is not something I would place much importance on, so I can't offer any suggestions. Sorry, just venting a little, I guess.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 02-09-2014, 01:07 PM

I think 'vital' is quite a strong word to describe people's wishes to be able to put their relationship info on fb like mono people can. I can say for myself that it definitely isn't vital, it's just the unfairness of it that bugs me. It really depends on a person's way of using Facebook overall. Some people share more than others. If you'd be the type of person who would put a relationship status on fb if you were mono, that probably doesn't change if you're openly poly.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:40 AM

Mine says " It's Complicated" which covers my relationship status as far as Facebook is concerned.
Hugs
I try to love my wives this way, unconditionally! Husbands love your wives, even as Christ loved the church, and gave himself up for her. Eph. 5:25