Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPoly View Post
With every additional owner and with every increase in asset value, you become less able to respond to change. And you never know what will change.
SlowPoly has an important point beyond the possible relationship dynamic issues.
One's ability to just pick up and move, to shift gears, to say 'chuck this job, this town, this relationship' decreases when one owns property. It becomes a lot harder to just start over. And this is still true if the property becomes less valuable, more valuable or stays the same. What people don't emphasize enough is that owning property does tie one down - it limits one's options in real ways. That's not always a bad thing but it exists.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
One's ability to just pick up and move, to shift gears, to say 'chuck this job, this town, this relationship' decreases when one owns property. It becomes a lot harder to just start over. And this is still true if the property becomes less valuable, more valuable or stays the same.
Exactly. To clarify, when I wrote "with every increase in asset value" I actually was thinking that the more expensive an asset you buy, say a car over a barbecue grill, a house over a car, a bigger house over a smaller one, the more anchored you get to your situation and co-owners, and the less flexible all of you can be as needs, wants, and resources change. Yes, it's nice to have things and to share ownership. But go slow, go simple, and buy small and you are less likely to get stuck.

And like opalescent says, this applies all the time and to everyone. In your specific case, the fact that it's an uncertain move for multiple people in a complex relationship means it's really important not to bite off more than you can let go of.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:41 PM

Default Thanks all

P didn't get "this" job, but it will come up again.
For myself, I have decided that I will NOT comingle finances in real estate, for all the reasons mentioned.

If I liked her and had a friendly relationship and knew they were solid, I would feel differently. Back when I did consider us partners, he and I had talked about cohousing, or a dulled, or similar, but at it became clear to me she would never have anything to with me, I gave up that dream. I had even looked into the LLC option of purchasing with comingled funds if we would have gone that route.

Thank you all. I appreciate the insights.

Tags
house, poly-mono, real estate