Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
Secular states that allow people to practice their religion within the confines of what is universally agreed to be okay. Ie human rights would be what dictates the law rather than religious principles.

This would mean that people could have any sort of relationships they like as long as the people involved supplied informed consent. A child couldn't give informed consent. You would be able to become legally entangled (civil partnership) with as many people as you like regardless of gender or lack thereof. Marriage would be kept for people who are religious and each religion may have criteria for marriage that means certain members of society are unable to marry under that religion. That would be fine because those members are unlikely to subscribe to a religion that excludes them and everyone can have civil partnership which gives you the same legal rights as marriage does anyway. Marriage would be a religious ceremony. The legal bit would be referred to as something else and be the same for everyone regardless of whether they marry or have a civil partnership.
Agreed 100%. Awesome to see someone else seeing it that way, because for the most part I get flack from conservatives and liberals both when I propose that my ideal approach to a) marriage and b) equality in legal benefits for all kinds of 'ships is "rigorously unmix these two concepts, and keep them firmly separate forever onward".
Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneMystic View Post
Agreed 100%. Awesome to see someone else seeing it that way, because for the most part I get flack from conservatives and liberals both when I propose that my ideal approach to a) marriage and b) equality in legal benefits for all kinds of 'ships is "rigorously unmix these two concepts, and keep them firmly separate forever onward".
Interesting. My thought has been that we should get the word "marriage" to mean all kinds of 'ships, and make them all legally equal - as well as have equal terminology. But as I think of it, the word "marriage" has such a baggage... of religious type, and of other traditions. Even though world history knows a lot of different marriage types, our modern western culture relies on monogamy and male dominance, historically. Maybe it really would be a good idea to give up the term marriage and let it have all this baggage, and take a totally new term in use for legally recognized 'ships of all types.