Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-18-2013, 02:59 PM

I'm not dating anyone right now. I'm taking time to worry about my son and figure things out. If I move out of the house I will most likely get a place with a few of my current roommates. One of them is my BIL but not in a dating situation.

DCF already knows this and has said that's not an issue. As for court proceedings....my husband is a master manipulator so yes, I am concerned about what lies he and his ex might tell.

I am still reeling from realizing I never truly knew who he was.
Mark - Neverwhere's brother and my roommate
Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 PM

My suggestion as a lawyer is for you to hire a lawyer who has familiarity or at least curiosity about poly. Then i would suggest hiring an expert witness on child psychology who is willing to learn about Polyamory. I understand that there are studies out there that prove children in poly families are as stable as children in traditional nuclear families. When there are unique issues like this the best hope is to educate the judge, however if you are in a conservative area or draw a conservative judge you may be fighting an up hill battle. At least if you put on this type of expert you will at least have a good record to fight with on appeal.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:04 AM

My advice for anything having to do with legalities is this:

Hire the best lawyer you can cannot quite afford.

At the end of the day, no matter what the laws really are and are supposed to be, the truth is this: the guy with the better lawyer wins. Law is all subjective, and what you want is someone with a lot of experience arguing whatever it is you want to claim.

If you were thrown into a bookcase, a good lawyer will make sure that anything your ex could bring up about your personal life will be less than irrelevant.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 12-21-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Official Greeter

Re:
Quote:
"At the end of the day, no matter what the laws really are and are supposed to be, the truth is this: The guy with the better lawyer wins. Law is all subjective, and what you want is someone with a lot of experience arguing whatever it is you want to claim."
QFT!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 PM

Depending on the state...a restraining order confers full physical and legal rights of the children to the person who holds the order, in this case you. However, the other parent still has access rights.
Check your restraining order paperwork.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:25 AM

There are some links to possible resources for you in this thread:

Legal links?

Also, there is an attorney in New York named Diana Adams, and she is poly, and an advocate for non-traditional and poly families. Maybe you can contact her for a reference of a poly-friendly attorney near you: Diana@DianaAdamsLaw.net (more information about her can be found at DianaAdamsLaw.net and FeministOutlaw.com).

All the best to you as you go through this. I would hope that his act of physically assaulting you will count against him in this process.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Depending on the state...a restraining order confers full physical and legal rights of the children to the person who holds the order, in this case you. However, the other parent still has access rights.
Check your restraining order paperwork.
you are right. This works for right now. But in the divorce he may fight for custody.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
There are some links to possible resources for you in this thread:

Legal links?

Also, there is an attorney in New York named Diana Adams, and she is poly, and an advocate for non-traditional and poly families. Maybe you can contact her for a reference of a poly-friendly attorney near you: Diana@DianaAdamsLaw.net (more information about her can be found at DianaAdamsLaw.net and FeministOutlaw.com).

All the best to you as you go through this. I would hope that his act of physically assaulting you will count against him in this process.
Thank you! !