Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Official Greeter

Re (from opalescent):
Quote:
"[opalescent pinky swears friends with Kevin] ... A pinky swear friendship is srs bidness among my people!"
Damn! It's official now. I solemnly submit to this new oath.

@YouAreHere ... uh yep, it sure seem cray cray to me. Love your post in general. Humans are always interesting in their odd -- cray cray way.

@Dirtclustit (Dusty is fine too if you prefer) ... I'm running ever more out of words (guess that four-post post sucked my own wind right out of me), and can't even think of specific replies to your specific comments.

It sounds like I'm part of some kind of reeeally big conspiracy, and that I'm an out-and-out asshole besides. (I got that part.) I purportedly smile/laugh in the face of the pain I (try to?) cause other people, and I seemingly post articles in online magazines which comes to me as quite a surprise.

I hope you won't too much hold it against me if I keep gradually creeping back out of our admittedly-interesting-but-kinda-scary conversation. I know you won't think it's sincere but I do apologize for any hurt, pain, or fear I have caused you. Not intended I swear; it's just me and my twisted sense of humor again.

You need not run from me; I won't block you and will always be interested to read your posts. And I hope you'll believe me when I say I've no intention of contracting a hit on you! Jeezh, didn't I mention I wasn't into that violence sort of thing? So your position is safe here on Polyamory.com; I won't try to challenge or threaten it.

I don't want to do my worst; I just want to tiptoe away. That's my current battle plan. I need to slink away so that some other abuser can take my place. Time for this abuser to clock out.

Believe it or not there's at least five other people who find me as despicable as you (I take it) find me: namely, my late wife's kids. Sigh. They'd definitely put a bullet in my head if they had the chance and thought they could get away with it. Actually they'd be more likely to crucify me or something if they thought they could get away with it.

I thank you for giving me the okay to continue to express my opinions (or lies, or whatever they are), even if you gave the okay in a less-than-warm-and-fuzzy manner. It's still the best thing to do. None of us (except the mods) on this forum can stop each other from saying this or that anyway.

Anywayz yeah, I'm gonna zip the lip for awhile now, and try to talk a leedle bit less in the future. Hope that helps.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 AM

This thread is being temporarily closed while mods discuss some of the unrelated posts that are taking away from the point and purpose of the thread.

The thread is re-opened for continued discussion on the topic of polyamory and racial minorities (including other types of minority status that can affect or can relate to the base topic).
Please remember that this board does have guidelines for appropriate posting. All posters are expected to have read and understood those guidelines before posting and are accountable for any posts that they make which don't meet those guidelines.

Last edited by LovingRadiance; 12-03-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: re-opened thread.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:14 AM
Official Greeter

Thanks guys. I've gotten a lot out of most of this thread, and would have been sad to see it closed permanently. I'll try to encourage everyone (e.g. myself) to stay on-topic.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

P.S. I'll re-read the guidelines too before posting any further here.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:12 AM
Official Greeter

Okay, here's two links worth taking a look at:
The first link is especially useful as it directly addresses this thread's topic. The second link adds some commentary about why we have such a freakin' hard time deciding what to call each other and various things. Still somewhat relevant, but it's the first link that you'll especially want to look at.

Regards,
Kevin T.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 AM

Its really not an issue for the OP to alter the topic or even for it to get derailed in so much as it makes sense and follows some train of thought-mods really don't care.
There are lots of threads that end up being conversational in nature and that's totally cool.
But not when someone starts being hostile (to simplify it).
Old 12-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Official Greeter

That sounds like a wise policy to me LR! Luckily the topic is "large and fuzzy enough" to accomodate a tangent or three. But like you said, when things go from off-topic to ugly, that's when any thoughtful mod would want to step in and help out somehow. Things were getting so full of negative energy, and had departed virtually 100% from the topic's home planet. So thanks to you mods for taking some timely action that helped us all take a deep breath and start afresh.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:28 AM
Official Greeter

And now for today's tangent this Christmas season ...

Yesterday I watched "Remember the Titans" for the first time. Very cool and enjoyable show (and this is coming from a guy who hardly knows a thing about football). Adding it to my list of faves; highly recommended.

Doesn't have a lot to do with the original post but it does address the problem of racial issues -- and is based on a true story. I got choked up on the hospital scene, so keep your kleenexes handy just in case.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Minorities in poly

I've begun to notice that the majority of poly members are white, with little to know minorities(especially asians from what I've seen)

A friend and I were having this discussion on fetlife and it makes me wonder a few things as a minority myself.

1. Are there any minority people on this board?

2. Do you know of any minorities that are poly.

3. Why do you think that there are not many of them out there? Why do they seem to be so scarce? Is it cultural or something else?
Old 08-10-2014, 08:44 PM

This is a long and much-discussed topic among several of the email lists I belong to. According to a few researchers who have looked into this, some of the reasons minorities seem to be scarce in poly communities are:

Intersectional oppression: a white person, especially a white middle class, college educated person (ie, the stereotypical poly person) risks less coming out as or IDing as poly because they are not already facing significant oppression do to their race or other minority status.

Other forms of non-monogamy: Many groups that are not widely represented in poly spaces do practice non-monogamy, but their approach to non-monogamy is different than the poly approach, and so they do not feel comfortable IDing as poly.

The popular perception (pushed by some media representations) of poly folk as well off (beautiful) white people makes people who feel they don't fit the stereotype avoid poly spaces, assuming they don't belong/won't fit.

I have met poly folk of several racial, ethnic and religious minorities over the years.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM

I'm Asian. And isn't the definition of minority that they are, well, the minority?

The "polyship" of two: Me, 28F; Sam, 39M
The rest of the cast: Jen, 34F, Sam's "toy"; play with others as opportunity arises