Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Site Usage > User Guidelines & Forum Features

Notices

Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Can we have a "like" button?

There are a number of online forums running the same engine as this one. Many of these have "like" buttons.

Could we have that feature turned on for this forum?

If not, is there a philosophical reason to make this decision? If there is, I'm curious to know what it is.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 12-14-2013, 09:16 PM

No idea!
But I am interested to know!

That would be nice.
There are times I just want to acknowledge I like/agree with something. But I don't bother because I don't want to waste the space or time to copy/paste etc.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:51 AM

I run a messageboard on a different system. I had to manually add the code to have "like/dislike" (I could have limited the code to JUST "Like", had I wanted to) added to the forum.

If it's not a "check this box to add Like" option in the Administrator Control Panel somewhere, it MIGHT be possible to add it into the page-load section of the forum manually by code as well.

I'm not an Admin here, so I don't know if that's an option or not... just wanted the knowledge out there in case the Admins didn't know it might be something to look for.

I know my members on my other board "Like" (LOL) and use the function a lot!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:05 AM

Don't you find it tends to end up as a popularity contest?
Old 12-15-2013, 02:25 AM

I think it cuts down on the "me too" posts if you have nothing else to add. Maybe call it "Agree" if you can change the wording?

I still bristle at "me too" posts, but that's just a vestige of how much I used to be on USENET back in the day.
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 12-15-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm View Post
Don't you find it tends to end up as a popularity contest?
Not really. (there's a code for doing that too, though... LOL)

The way it gets used on my site is just like LR suggested, when you want to tell someone that you like or agree with their post, but you dot' want to make a separate post that says "I like that". All the "Like/Dislike" code does is eliminate simple approval or disapproval posts.

Last edited by RichardInTN; 12-15-2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: to add quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
I think it cuts down on the "me too" posts if you have nothing else to add. Maybe call it "Agree" if you can change the wording?

I still bristle at "me too" posts, but that's just a vestige of how much I used to be on USENET back in the day.
The code I use on my other board is adaptable and can be changed to "Agree/Disagree" or whatever... AND/OR it can be limited to JUST "Like" (or "Agree" or whatever) or JUST "Dislike" (or "Disagree" or whatever).

ETA: the code could even be adapted to have a "Like" and an "Agree" if one wanted to... because the "Dislike" side is not limited to negative connotations. The code could have two separate positive options. Again, though... that code was written specifically for the other forum. It's likely that a completely different code would have to be used here.

Last edited by RichardInTN; 12-15-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: to add my ETA
Old 12-15-2013, 04:15 AM

I don't really see much use for a Like button in a discussion. It never occurs to me that I'd want to add that - I either add my two cents to the conversation or not. So, I don't really understand how that would be an improvement except to save people keystrokes, but so what.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 12-15-2013, 04:18 AM

I like the idea of a LIKE button! I use it a lot on Facebook and my "friends" use it to let me know that they agree with a post or like a photo that I've shared!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 AM

I think it's much more interesting when people write out that they agree or disagree, and explain why or why not. Sure it works for Facebook, but - that's Facebook. I mean, this is a discussion board and getting various viewpoints is what makes it a discussion. Otherwise it could just be a couple of posts with a few thumbs-up symbols next to them and not much conversation. Boring!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein