Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
We are called to follow lawful orders without hesitation. That means we always evaluate the orders we are given, knowing that we rarely have all the information available, in an extremely small window of time.

My emphasis.
I've already explained it in great detail, if you still do not understand then I can not help you.~

I'm sorry.~

*Believe in yourself, you can do anything*!~ ^_^

Appreciate every thing, every thing is precious.~

Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Banned

You don't have to explain anything. What it means is that you're expected to analyse whether something is lawful and right without full information. You could, in theory, blow up a building that has bad guys in it and not know or be told that behind it is a school because that information was deemed irrelevant. So now, you've killed a bunch of kids. Some people could deal with that thinking they just followed orders, I couldnt and I doubt you could either. But we'll see.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
You don't have to explain anything. What it means is that you're expected to analyse whether something is lawful and right without full information. You could, in theory, blow up a building that has bad guys in it and not know or be told that behind it is a school because that information was deemed irrelevant. So now, you've killed a bunch of kids. Some people could deal with that thinking they just followed orders, I couldnt and I doubt you could either. But we'll see.
Ah I understand what you mean, and I agree with your point.~

We do the best with the information that we have at the time, that is why it is helpful to try to be prepared and gather as much information as you can find, but this still does not cancel out the possibility that some thing might just be what we didn't expect it to be.~

As military people we accept the possibility that these kinds of things might happen and we take full responsibility for what ever may happen as a result of our actions or inactions whether we had full knowledge of such things or not.~

Personally, I don't think I'd end up a situation of direct combat, because my job is to study the sky, the weather, and the ocean and how they all interact together, but there is always the possibility of becoming engaged in direct combat or ending up in a situation like the one you described.~

I think it would tear me apart inside to severely hurt any one and to kill any thing (Human or not), I don't know every thing about what I might do because honestly some things you just don't know until the situation is already happening, but in the end it is up me to decide what to do in that kind of situation: no one is going to jump inside my body and pull the trigger of a gun for me (that I know of), and I have to decide where to aim it.~

Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think it would tear me apart inside to severely hurt any one and to kill any thing (Human or not), I don't know every thing about what I might do because honestly somethingsyou just don't know until the situation is already happening, but in the end it is up me to decide what to do in that kind of situation: no one is going to jump inside my body and pull the trigger of a gun for me (that I know of), and I have to decide where to aim it.~
But you deciding not to blow up that building might compromise the operation and/or your colleagues. That's why I feel people like me, or you, shouldn't be in the military.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
But you deciding not to blow up that building might compromise the operation and/or your colleagues. That's why I feel people like me, or you, shouldn't be in the military.
Still I chose this path, I made a commitment and I want to see where this path might take me.~

Thank you for your concern,

love,

ColorsWolf

Old 12-09-2013, 04:17 AM

I'd like to clear up some more stereotypes about military people:

Stereotype: All military people approve of violence.~

Truth: Some do and some of us are pacifists whether you believe it or not.~ I'm not just speaking for myself here, there are people who have been in the military far longer than I have and some who still are in the military, who are all pacifists.~ We do not believe violence is the best nor should it be the first option, and we do all that we can to use and to exhaust all options to prevent violence: like some one once said, "There are no winners in War, every one loses some one they love."

We do the best that we can in the best ways that we know how with what ever we have to work with or not to work with, nothing is ever "black and white": there is always far more to the picture than many can see at first.~

Stereotype: All military men are or will eventually become "tough", "jaded", "unstable", "never smile", or "cowardly".~

Truth: We can all be any of these at any time, some are more of one of these than the others more often, but like always it's an individual thing.~

For me personally: I love and enjoy every thing, I love to talk, I love to smile, I love to laugh, and I love to make jokes.~ I hope that I continue to do so and if I don't then I hope that some how I will remember how to smile, how to love, how to enjoy life, and how to appreciate every thing, for truly: in my opinion if you are not content then there is no point in the life that you are living.~ I'm happy just to be alive and when I'm dead I'll be happy to be dead, for I appreciate every thing.~

Stereotype: All military women eventually get taken "advantage" of.~

Truth: I know for a fact that there are some military women who can wipe the floor with any one at any moment metaphorically and literally.~ What ever a woman can or can not do is up to herself same as a man, no one else.~ If you want to know some thing about some one ask them, don't assume any thing, ever.~ Yes, many military places still treat women like their porcelain dolls and it is not fair to them.~ Some women might not have earned their their position with exactly the same requirements as their male versions and some might have, for many it was not their choice to be treated this way.~ Regardless, do not make the mistake of underestimating what a "military woman" is capable of.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 12-09-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Truth: Some do and some of us are pacifists whether you believe it or not.~ I'm not just speaking for myself here, there are people who have been in the military far longer than I have and some who still are in the military, who are all pacifists.~
lways far more to the picture than many can see at first.~

You sure this isn't simply people not understanding pacifism?.. honestly I had to look it up, because I was 100% sure you could not be one and be in the military. I had believed, until 2 minutes ago, that a pacifist military person was right up there with jumbo shrimp and atheist christian..

I was incorrect. Pacifism is a hugely wide spectrum including things I would have never considered pacifist. .. might require you offering up some re-education when calling yourself pacifist.

Quote:
Stereotype: All military women eventually get taken "advantage" of.~
To be fair. Sexual assault in the military is borderline rampant. The stats are insanely high compared to civilian life. Considering how the world can paint in broad strokes, its no doubt that people make that stereotype.

Tough or not.. tough people get assaulted all the time. Being tough is irrelevant. Just ask any inmate in a federal prison.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
lways far more to the picture than many can see at first.~

You sure this isn't simply people not understanding pacifism?.. honestly I had to look it up, because I was 100% sure you could not be one and be in the military. I had believed, until 2 minutes ago, that a pacifist military person was right up there with jumbo shrimp and atheist christian..

I was incorrect. Pacifism is a hugely wide spectrum including things I would have never considered pacifist. .. might require you offering up some re-education when calling yourself pacifist.
This is why being a Pacifist and being a military person are not incompatible things, Pacifism can mean many things depending on who you ask: but all Pacifists try to avoid, prevent, discourage, delay, or stop violence in some way.~

Quote:
To be fair. Sexual assault in the military is borderline rampant. The stats are insanely high compared to civilian life. Considering how the world can paint in broad strokes, its no doubt that people make that stereotype.
I can neither confirm nor deny that, as I do not have any experience in this area nor do I have specific data in regard to this subject at hand.~

From what I have heard how ever, this is a gross misrepresentation of the reality of these matters.~

As military personnel it is mine and all of our's DUTY to do all we can to prevent these kinds of things from happening and to stop them when they are happening by any and all means necessary: regardless of every thing, I will not hesitate to physically take down (not kill) any and all rapists.~

Quote:
Tough or not.. tough people get assaulted all the time. Being tough is irrelevant. Just ask any inmate in a federal prison.
I'm sorry, but you are wrong.~

A truly persevering individual will always find a way to accomplish their goals no matter what the circumstances are, I'm not saying it is impossible to get raped as a "tough" individual, I'm saying you are doing a great disservice by completely disregarding them as individuals with each their own characteristics.~

Every thing matters at all times in all situations.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 12-13-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
I'm sorry, but you are wrong.~

A truly persevering individual will always find a way to accomplish their goals no matter what the circumstances are, I'm not saying it is impossible to get raped as a "tough" individual, I'm saying you are doing a great disservice by completely disregarding them as individuals with each their own characteristics.~

Every thing matters at all times in all situations.~
Fair enough, irrelevant was a very strong phrase..
Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 PM

So, victims of sexual assault who fight back unsuccessfully are somehow not persevering enough? I hope I'm reading you wrong...
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk

Tags
learning, military, people, stereotypes, u.s.a.