Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 10:48 PM

Here is another thought that you reminded me of when you mentioned skinny < size 14. What is your bone size? If you are not sure, take your right hand and try to touch the thumb and middle finger around your left wrist, the narrowest spot. If they touch easily, you are small boned. If they just touch, you are medium boned. If you cannot touch them together, you are large boned like I am. I could not be a size 14 without question being drawn to my health, if I'm lucky I can get down to a 16, which to me would be just fine. I personally don't put much stock into clothing size = skinniness since alot depends on the cut and the manufacturer as opposed to some kind of universal standard.

Always remember as well, most fast food places do have healthier alternatives. Or modify your condiments. Getting a burger? No Mayo. Taco Bell? try their Fresca meals and get the chicken instead of the beef. Chinese food? go with a vegetarian or chicken dish that doesn't have a lot of sauce (and no sweet & sour chicken!) or something like the sauteed green beans. Also most fast food have those menu nutrition guides, either as handout or online. Take a quick look at those and figure out a plan if you do feel the need to resort to fast food. Want a nuk'em meal? Try Lean Cuisine (their Paninis are pretty good). Stay away from deep fried and if deep fried is all the place offers, get sides like salad, coleslaw or whatever.

You CAN do it! Don't give up!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalin View Post
Here is another thought that you reminded me of when you mentioned skinny < size 14. What is your bone size? If you are not sure, take your right hand and try to touch the thumb and middle finger around your left wrist, the narrowest spot. If they touch easily, you are small boned. If they just touch, you are medium boned. If you cannot touch them together, you are large boned like I am.
Not to disagree, but I will disagree. ...unless you have average hands for your structure...I am large framed and can easily overlap my fingers, but I also have exceptionally long fingers and a long hand. You are better to actually measure using tape measure which then calculates wrist circumference vs your height.

http://www.medindia.net/patients/cal...framesize1.asp

Quote:
You CAN do it! Don't give up!
Absolutely. Keep doing what you know is right and it will happen for you
Old 03-27-2010, 03:34 AM

Goodness knows that clothing manufacturers MUST make some shit up!

I am NOT kidding-I have a pair of jeans that fits nicely that is a size 12 and another pair that fit nearly the SAME that are size 6. FREAKS.

As for your efforts and going to get the bloodwork done, GREAT JOB!!!

Keep writing-it helps to keep in touch with people who are supportive!!
Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
Goodness knows that clothing manufacturers MUST make some shit up!

I am NOT kidding-I have a pair of jeans that fits nicely that is a size 12 and another pair that fit nearly the SAME that are size 6. FREAKS.

As for your efforts and going to get the bloodwork done, GREAT JOB!!!

Keep writing-it helps to keep in touch with people who are supportive!!
Vanity sizing is a wonderful thing. Manufacturers have it down, if the label reads a smaller size you're more likely to buy it. I have clothes that range from a size 4 to a size 10. It makes no sense at all!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:09 AM

Default Blood work

My bloodwork came back last week, and it looks pretty inconclusive on the testosterone levels / insulin uptake front. I'm going to have to sit down with my doctor again and see what all of this means regarding my weight issues. We might be looking in the wrong direction.

What we did find is that my vitamin D levels are way too low, and my cholesterol is astonishingly high. I've never had cholesterol issues before, but now that I think of it, I shouldn't be so surprised.

Since December I've been working my retail management job in the next state over. I got moved due to corporate politics, and my 10 minute street commute became a 45 minute highway commute. There is also more foot-traffic at this store than the previous one, and it feels like there is three times as much work to do at any given moment. My stress levels are out of control, and I've been finding that this, combined with the steep rise in road time, has lead to me eating entirely too much fast food. I really need to cut that out.

The good news is that seeing my cholesterol results has made me highly conscious of what I'm eating. When approached with the prospect of eating fatty or greasy foods, I'm severely put off. I haven't quite made it to the point where "healthy" foods seem entirely enticing. Basically, nothing sounds good to me and I'm forcing myself to eat.

Bad news is that I'm also becoming heartily aware of the eating habits of those around me, namely Alex and Jenny. Alex loves buffets, and always wants to go to them. I'll see him pile up plate after plate. The three of us went to a buffet the other night, and I'm the only one who went to the salad bar or chose to eat any green vegetables off the hot food line. Alex routinely asks me out to late-night breakfasts at a 24-hour diner. We order in pizza, or get fast food. Furthermore, neither of them cooks much. Their kitchen is filled with sandwich meats, easy-mac, frozen dinners, and sodas. Each of them is well over 300 lbs, Jenny is pre-diabetic and already developing arthritis, Alex has had gout and doesn't sleep well due to severe apnea. I don't know if they're not conscious of what they're consuming, or if they just don't entirely care. I love them both, and I hate to see this happening to them--and it's also a scary wake-up call for what I have to look forward to in the next 10 years if I don't manage to drop some weight.

I don't want to cause waves or anything. I don't want to critique their eating habits like a holier-than-thou, mothering type. I'm just trying hard to make a positive change in my life, and I want the people I love to support me and strive for their own health too.

It's scary to think of what can happen to us if we don't.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Definitely keep searching, but don't underestimate the importance of that vitamin D.
I started taking 4000 IU's of D a day (I live in Alaska and yes I really do need AT LEAST that much a day).

I had been STUCK unable to lose weight for YEARS. I dropped damn near to 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks.

Now-don't get me wrong either, 20 lbs in 2 weeks is NOT generally healthy! NOT something I would try to do on purpose. It just worked out that way and I was eating.

The other thing I've found is that I am ADD (new that but was never medicated). I knew medication controlled hyperactivity and disorganization issues, but those weren't out of control for me, so I didn't bother getting it.
I found out that it also helps with impulsivity. The doctor suggested trying it. I didn't even KNOW I was an impulsive eater until I started taking the medication.

Oh my goodness. It was SO amazing the first time someone said, "LR you want some icecream?" I said yes, because I LOVE icecream. But I only ate like 2 small bites and then tossed it, because I really didn't want it AT ALL.
I started CRAVING fresh fruit and veggies too. Craving? Yes, CRAVING.
I almost never eat anything like fast food anymore, because I look at it and my stomach cringes, not my mind. I can mentally sit here and drool thinking about a double quarter pounder with cheese! But one bite-and my body says ICK and I look like that Mr. Yuck sticker from when I was a kid!!!

So, yes-do keep looking. Keep up the great work. It sounds like you are really being honest with yourself and being very introspective in the sense that you are finding your own triggers and behaviors! That is a WONDERFUL step.

You ever need a little emotional thumbs up, PM me. Great job and keep us posted!!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 PM

Making waves can be hard, so make ripples. Cook for them, if you can, more often. Set up romantic meals with the four food groups. Find ways that they like certain things cooked. If you end up ordering out, get pizza, with lots of veggies. It's not perfect, but at least you will be getting the needed daily alotment. There are always ways of getting people to eat well or at least better if they have help without beating them over the head with a carrot.

Oh, and there are certain frozen dinners that do come with veggies now too. Or are at least healthier then fried or deep fried foods.