Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
She was looking for more relationships and I was looking for women just to use for sex.

Look at us now

OK, but would you say that she was looking because something was missing from her relationship with Nerdist? Because that is what it seems to imply in what you said up there just now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
The idea of one partner going out to "look for more love/sex/relationships" indicates that there is something missing to me. I am much more in tune with the idea of love/relationships occurring naturally.

I'm not trying to be a jerk; I'm trying to understand. Your words just contradicted something that you know to be otherwise in your very own experience.

Explain pls.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 03-24-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
OK, but would you say that she was looking because something was missing from her relationship with Nerdist? Because that is what it seems to imply in what you said up there just now:
That's for her to say, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk; I'm trying to understand. Your words just contradicted something that you know to be otherwise in your very own experience.

Explain pls.
No worries my friend, but I'm not sure what you mean by that . Where's the contradiction?
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Last edited by MonoVCPHG; 03-24-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 PM
SourGirl's Avatar
SourGirl SourGirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of an Igloo, North of a Desert.
Posts: 885
Default looking vs. non-looking

I have a ad on one site, and I talk to a few people on that site. I look at profiles, and enjoy chatting to new people.

I don`t have profiles on any other site. I just don`t feel any urge. ***update,..ok,..that changed.***

Past that, I have no interest in the meet-n-greet type of poly settings/parties. I have met people from online, on a individual basis, but the meets always feel like a 'meet/meat' market to me.

So I guess,... to each their own ? Might just be a personality/previous experiences type of thing.

I have just started to 'see' someone whom I initially met online. It is still in its infancy, but I don`t believe there is anything about him, that is 'missing' from my primary partner, that I seek. I see it as icing on a great cake, not a cake that needs filler, to taste good.

Last edited by SourGirl; 04-27-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: changes
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 PM
GroundedSpirit GroundedSpirit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New England USA
Posts: 1,231
Default

I think this has to have a lot of variation depending on where someone is at with their current life. How busy, how "full" as we often refer to it etc.

I think it's hard to draw a line between "looking" (actively in some way) and being open and aware.

There seems to be lulls- quiet periods - in any relationships where everyone becomes part of a conversation such as - "you know - it might be nice IF....." - and you can fill in the "if" appropriately.

When these points occur - these conversations come up - it just seems to put everyone into some heightened state of awareness of other potential connections.

Is this "looking" - I suppose so in some form.
Is it because of some "lack" - well I suppose someone might define it that way too. But in reality I don't think it's quite like that. It just seems to be more like - well I have these fries here - maybe some ketchup would go nicely too.........



GS
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 AM
idealist's Avatar
idealist idealist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Deep South
Posts: 539
Default

Good discussion!! I am single and live alone, but I have 4 male lovers and one female lover. I have known Steven for 10 years- met him at a convention. I've known John for 11 years- met him at Home Depot! I've known Richard for 6 years- met him on a dating site. And I've known Charles for 8 months- met him in a bar-(he met his primary partner on a dating site though). I've known Katherine for 2 years.....met her at my own house- at a New Years Eve Party!
Life just kinda happens and dating sites are part of it for me, but not everything!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-25-2010, 05:30 AM
SchrodingersCat's Avatar
SchrodingersCat SchrodingersCat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,039
Default

I'm on fetlife to connect with other people in that lifestyle. I joined okc hoping to meet other poly people just to connect with and share a common and rare interest.

I've never found anything by looking for it, from common household objects to true love. But whenever I've had the sense to quit looking for something, it's usually fallen right into my lap.
__________________
Gralson: my husband. Auto: my girlfriend.
Zoffee: Auto's husband. Cue: Zoffee's boyfriend. Bookie: Cue's wife.

"Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 AM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,632
Default

I looked at length in many places for Mono. I dated three guys a week for about four months steadily. It was like getting to the end of a marathon not knowing where it ended or when.

My thought was, "we decided to get back on the horse (poly) so lets riiiiide!"

I just enjoyed the ride and let it get us started. I met several people on line that I now hang out with and it started me up with the whole community here. I have some crappy stories about on-line dating, but I didn't let it discourage me and I didn't take it too seriously. I was just curious.

Of course my husband has had a different experience in that, in that he is male. I had tons of attention, he has next to none. Totally different thing... men seem to have a hard time meeting anyone.
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM
ImaginaryIllusion's Avatar
ImaginaryIllusion ImaginaryIllusion is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Of course my husband has had a different experience in that, in that he is male. I had tons of attention, he has next to none. Totally different thing... men seem to have a hard time meeting anyone.
I'm going to list that as the understatement of the month!
__________________
“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” - Chinese Proverb

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post



No worries my friend, but I'm not sure what you mean by that . Where's the contradiction?

The contradiction was here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
The idea of one partner going out to "look for more love/sex/relationships" indicates that there is something missing to me. I am much more in tune with the idea of love/relationships occurring naturally.
and here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post


She was looking for more relationships and I was looking for women just to use for sex.

Look at us now
So, am I to understand that what you meant is that although you are "in tune" with things "occurring naturally", that it did in fact happen the other way for you two? I realize that you may have been speaking with irony in your tone of voice. That is why I said "Pls explain". It's better if I just ask you to explain rather than playing 20-questions.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-25-2010, 02:57 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post


So, am I to understand that what you meant is that although you are "in tune" with things "occurring naturally", that it did in fact happen the other way for you two? .
Right
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 AM.